Powergrips v SPDs

PhildB
PhildB Posts: 73
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
The Powergrips have fantastic reviews.

I'm looking to hear from anyone who has experienced both SPDs and Powergrips.

From a performance and feel perspective alone, - forgetting cost and convenience, - how do Powergrips compare with SPDs?

I do not have experience of either, only the standard cages that come with some pedals.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I assume that you're talking about these ?

powergrips-pedal-straps.jpg

I used tham back in the early '90s (I believe when they first came out ?) and cmpared with standard toe clips they're pretty good. Because they're mounted diagonally across the pedal, they effectively tighten as you straighten your foot. However, they're not a a patch on SPDs for both feel and performance. With SPDs, you are directly attached to the pedal, generally with a shoe which is designed for cycling and for power transfer. As a result, you get tools designed for hte job.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wow- blast from the past.

They may have had good reviews in the past but SPDs are so much better. There's a reason why you don't see them any more.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Powergrips might find favour with the flattie pedal / hipster fixie crowd because they can ride around in regular shoes but there's no comparison if you're looking to optimise your pedalling performance by maximising power transfer, particularly if wearing road bike shoes. Might be fine for a bimble down the shops but compromised for everything else.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..