Planet X Stealth custom build sub 1K

turboslave
turboslave Posts: 178
edited January 2012 in Your road bikes
stealth.jpg

Just returned from the shop, all in £950.

Frame/forks seat pin, bars, stem, brakes, headset, DA BB pre loved, £200
Ultegra chainset F/Rear mechs new £140.00
Prologo TTR Saddle new £80
Wheels Corima aero pre loved (mint) inc new tubs and DA cassette £350
Look pedals new £90
KMC gold chain new £10
Microshift levers new £30
Build inc jagwire cables bar tape £50

Well pleased with the way it's turned out. :lol:

Comments

• ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Nice. I do wonder whether I should have waited for a white frame.
    Still it is the Mondeo of TT bikes, and I bought what was on offer at the time.
  • ChrisSA,

Thanks for the comment, yes they are very common but also great starter frames with plenty of wins under its belt. This particular one has acheived a 20min 10m time and the owner went onto a more exotic and expensive frame which has so far proved slower so its going to be some time before I upgrade.

At the price I paid if it had been pink I would still have made the purchase, have a good season.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    just posted below you in the px thread on TT forum
    i especially like you gold chain for some reason!
    nice bikes for the money and pretty/fast
    i need more bikes
  • Hi ben16v,

I saw yours looks nice, wasnt sure about he gold chain to start with but at the price I wasnt complaining and it makes it stand out a little more, I didnt have a choice of colour and started wanting a black frame but glad I was offerred this white one as the blacks are getting a little same old.

Have a good season

atb

Dave
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Great build turboslave - I like it!
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Great build , The white planet x frame looks nice.
    It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.

--Ernest Hemingway
  • Thanks again for the comments, popped it on the turbo tonight to check position, slight tweek of the saddle and it feels perfect, very comfortable, hopefully get out on the road over the weekend if its dry and frost free.

atb

Dave
  • PhildB
    PhildB Posts: 73
    Stunning bike, - and fantastic price

If I wanted to be picky, i'd say i'd prefer the crank to be black also :wink::D
  • Phildb,
    Glad you like it, yes I would have prefered a black chainset or even the grey ultegra to match the front & rear mechs, but £70 for a new ultergra chainset wasnt to be sniffed at, rotors cranks & rings will be the next upgrade.
  • you lucky bastard! :D EPIC!
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Great looking bike.
    If the stack and reach suit you, then these frames are extremely hard to beat.
    And you certainly bagged a bargain there. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Thanks Hopper & Matt,

Yep I did well to build it for the money, although I havent costed the hrs spent searching for the right parts at the right price, as I am the same height as the previous owner I was confident that it would'nt be too different for me, its only 30mm lower than my road bike with clip on bars so not too much of a drop to get used too, reach is spot on and position feels very comfortable, slight tweek of the saddle so far turbo use only with no aches pains , hope it works for me on the road.

Only thing is the previous owner did a 20min ride and his partner did a 22min ride last year so no pressure on me :lol:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Incredible build for the money. I can't imagine spending 4 times as much would get you much of a performance gain.

I'm not fast enough to merit buying a TT bike (yet :wink: ) . Sub 22 seems way out of reach. How much difference will the rotor cranks make? I was thinking a rear disc wheel would have more of an impact.
  • Very nice bike, looks very striking in white.

I have been slowly buying up parts for a TT build over winter. Its amazing what bargains you can get if you have the time to shop around (I have plenty of this with the job I do) and hold out for the best deal's and i find it strangely quite satisfying!
  • Thanks Rick,

I was lucky enough to be offerred the frame by one of my clubmates, I was a little nervous that I would end up with Tiagra, and a cheap looking bike loaded with cheap or pre loved parts, like you I spent ages shopping around and if you search hard enough the bits you want come up at the right price, my budget was to get it built less wheels for £600 as I was planning to use my cosmic's for TT's, I was just very lucky that the Corimas had just come in for part x at my LBS, I just could'nt say no at the price, until then I was concerned that by using the cosmic's I would then have made the madonne redundant as I prob would'nt keep swapping them over.

Glad you like it,

atb

Dave