weight limit

D4V1D
D4V1D Posts: 233
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
:oops:

Just seen a nice seat post I'd like to get to improve my bike, but reading the details it quotes rider weight must no greater than 80Kg. Some you win, some you loose.
I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
Cube Acid 2010
Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like a POS to be fair. What was it?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would focus on the fork (and bike not riding straight) before you worry about a seatpost.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I fail to see the point like ^^. New forks would be a much wiser buy.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Sounds like a POS to be fair.

If you weigh more than 80kg's then I imagine it will be!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    D4V1D wrote:
    ..reading the details it quotes rider weight must no greater than 80Kg.
    Last time I was 80kg people thought there was something wrong with me, but I still wanted a USE Alien carbon post for the Proflex.

Got in touch with USE and they said it was simply a product liability disclaimer for the 'mericans. Providing the post was installed properly (min insertion, clamp torque etc) and checked from time-to-time it would be fine.

That was 2004 and it's still going strong.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sounds like a POS to be fair. What was it?

Sounds light rather than a POS. Considering the majority of people will be overweight at 80kg it's not unrealistic to assume (obviously wrongly though) that they won't be hugely interested in very light parts.

Saying that New Ultimate seatposts are 130g, and have an 85kg limit. Think Ax-Lightness may be lower.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Considering the majority of people will be overweight at 80kg .
    really??
    ive seen these weight disclaimers and so on its just a load of legal rubbish to cover corporate backsides
    live, ride, survive

2012 Nightrod Special Race tuned
    Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Sometimes it is. Other times, it's because a part genuinely is cutting its margins for lightness (quite common with wheels). Course, it's not a hard limit- a rider over the weight limit might be fine, a lighter rider using the parts very hard might not.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited January 2012
    The 80Kg will include a safety factor, clearly someone of 81Kg riding smooth trails won't have a problem.....also depends on your riding style, keep outthe saddle on rough bits or on a long travel full susser has no real effect on the post, hard hits sitting on a hardtail do.....

Most saddles will give way long before a post, the lad wrecked his Spesh BG when he hit the saddle in a compression at Cannock, both rails twisted to a ruin and the plastic shell snapped in two just behind the front mountings, hes under 11 stone.

My commuter runs the post about 1cm above the min insertion line....doubt it will fail any time soon!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    njee20 wrote:
    Considering the majority of people will be overweight at 80kg .
    obviously talking about women or he lives in munchkin land, how's dorothy these days? :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Different parts do have different limits - not everyone wants girder like posts ;-).

Many ultra light parts are 80kg max.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Many ultra light parts are 80kg max.

guess i will never have ultra light parts LOL
    live, ride, survive

2012 Nightrod Special Race tuned
    Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • D4V1D
    D4V1D Posts: 233
    Yeah I need to work on my forks, but can't I change more than one part. If shopping by mail order it make sense to buy a few items at once.

Yes it was a seat post, mainly because mine took a beating at the same time of the forks and I've found a bent spoke in the rear wheel as well.

As to the over weight, I'm 6 4 and built like a Inside centre.
    I'm not a racer, but I like to churn out 2-3hr rides,
    I love Cannock and Llandegla cycle parks.
    Cube Acid 2010
    Upgraded RockShox Reba RL Forks, twin air.
    Updrade RockShox dropper seat post.
    Went tubeless DIY style using a 20" BMX tube. Lasting well.