Sportives

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rebs wrote:
    Tempted to do flatout in the fens for old times sake.

Not sure it suits me mind...
    I keep wanting to do fens. Anyone ever done it before? Is it well ran?

I was out on a ride on my own when I was unemployed, found myself on the route and came across a club who had come down from leeds to ride it.

Seems OK. They didn't have any complaints

I know the roads, and as the Fens go, that bit was lovely.

Thing is, with a route like that, if it's raining and howling wind it's going to be AWFUL.

Bad weather bothers me less when it's up and down.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Flat out in the Fens sounds dire to me. I did an Evans ride in Notts - no hills on that though still pretty Alpine compared to the Fens. With nothing to worry about, it was boring. No real landmarks so I was just travelling through the country and not the most exciting country at that.

And I have ridden through the Lincs fens. 50 miles into a headwind as soon as I passed Goole. A lovely sunny day ruined by being on a 50 mile ride into a headwind - it was grim. No shelter, no change - just headwind :lol:

Bear Ricks comment in mind and if you must do it, sign up on the day and don't bother unless the sky is clear blue and the wind light enough not to shift a butterfly!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Have signed up for the wiggle ups and downs 100 mile ride at the end of April.
    Might see asprilla there!
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    edited January 2012
    Signed up for Hell of Ashdown and Marmotte. No plans for any others at the moment.

EDIT: @JonGinge - you had your dossard yet?
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Marmotte or Fray Bentos is on the list for next year...

Chiltern 100 looks pretty awesome, 2600m of climbing on the Gran Fondo route.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    JZed wrote:
    Signed up for Hell of Ashdown and Marmotte. No plans for any others at the moment.

EDIT: @JonGinge - you had your dossard yet?
    Not yet, no

Was going to sign up for HOTA but completely forgot about it: entries opened on my birthday IIRC and sold out in hours. Nice route but was a bit snowy the two times i've done it

Wouldn't mind doing the Fray Bentos at some point
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Another for HotA here. Nothing else planned at the moment, although might do the Big G Grimpeur des Wolds in East Yorkshire if I'm free that weekend - missed it the last couple of years :(
  • La Marmotte for me and a friend
    Dossard numbers arrived yesterday... now a little nervous!
  • london-red
    2013 SCR Frey Bentos outing anyone?
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Anyone got a link to Fray Bentos - can't seem to find it - intrigued as to what it is.
  • london-red
    http://www.quebrantahuesos.com/

Few of the guys I ride with at w/e's have done it and rate it as up there with the best - cheering crowds and all.
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Any other SCR's signed up for the wiggle up and downs 100 mile ride?
    The other guy I was supposed to be doing it with has broken his wrist so is giving it a miss. If there is anyone doing it who fancies sharing the load then drop me a message!
    FCN 4
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    when and where is it Alan?

fellow Surrey-sider here in need of some miles.
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Starts in dorking, the route isnt out yet but I assume its lots of surrey hills downs towards south coast and back up.

29th of April, I know of someone selling a place assuming they are transferable.

Tempted?? Cant gurantee I would be able to keep up the same kind of pace as you though!
    FCN 4
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    when and where is it Alan?

http://bit.ly/HxAQTA
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat wrote:when and where is it Alan?

http://bit.ly/HxAQTA

Thanks, although it wasnt clear it was in Surrey and my original google searches were drawing a blank. I gleaned Surrey from Alans profile. Cheers though.
  • clarkey cat
    Starts in dorking, the route isnt out yet but I assume its lots of surrey hills downs towards south coast and back up.

29th of April, I know of someone selling a place assuming they are transferable.

Tempted?? Cant gurantee I would be able to keep up the same kind of pace as you though!

Ah, I am booked for a 100 miler of my own then with some pals. Also starting in Dorking. I didnt know this was on.
    I'll see what the guys have to say about doing something official, like.

I'll take you on the downhills, you can catch me on the uphills. I'm that kinda rider.
  • cyclingprop
    Sorry. Couldn't resist.
  • clarkey cat
    tickle tickle tickle
  • cyclingprop
    ??!
  • clarkey cat
    he he. you know, when you're on the wind-up its not so different from rigorous tickling.

don't worry, I like a tickle. Giving and receiving.
  • cyclingprop
    Excellent. A versatile tickler. Goodoh :)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Might sign up for the ups and downs today. Did it last year and it was fun.

Anyone else doing the SWRC May Flyer?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    alansd1980 wrote:

corirorioriroriroridan and I are with a couple of mates, feel free to get involved. corirorioriroriroridan is likely to faint after 15 miles or the first hill, whichever comes first.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    tetm wrote:
    alansd1980 wrote:

corirorioriroriroridan and I are with a couple of mates, feel free to get involved. corirorioriroriroridan is likely to faint after 15 miles or the first hill, whichever comes first.

*guilty*
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Bum. Can't do the ups and downs as I'm on holiday.

I have just signed up for the Magnificat though.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    I've signed up to one in France this summer that JZed was telling me about. 100 odd miles but he said it was pan flat so how hard can it be. Its called La Marmite or something like that. mmm brown and sticky perhaps
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    I've signed up to one in France this summer that JZed was telling me about. 100 odd miles but he said it was pan flat so how hard can it be. Its called La Marmite or something like that. mmm brown and sticky perhaps

That's what you end up with in your shorts when you get a front flat on a hairpin descending the Glandon...
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    The current naming conventions for UK sportives do make me laugh.

Most of the new events seem to be geared towards macho "killer" type names for pretty standard events, whereas on the continent you tend to get some pretty plain vanilla names like the Oetztaler-Radmarathon to describe truly brutal routes.

How about the "Dorking Dilly Dally" or the "Peak District Plodder" :twisted:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1