Avoiding Lycra...

2»

Comments

• wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    the swrve jeans have a very clever crotch area (ooeerr missus!) Unlike most jeans they manage to be totally seam free right where it matters, with a sort of diamond shaped section across the saddle area. they are very comfortable too. swrve also do a range of "softshell" trousers which also look lush.
  • wyadvd wrote:
    I think I look damn good in Lycra.

Pics or you made it up.

That might be a good idea. Can anyone post pictures of people/themselves in Lycra and not looking like a muppet? Might help settle the debate.
    Specialized Secteur - FCN 6
  • wyadvd
    LOL let me dig some out. follow the endomondo link for a sneek peek!
  • Just make sure you don't break any forum rules for inappropriate images!
    Specialized Secteur - FCN 6
  • wyadvd
    Sheikhus wrote:
    wyadvd wrote:
    I think I look damn good in Lycra.

Pics or you made it up.

That might be a good idea. Can anyone post pictures of people/themselves in Lycra and not looking like a muppet? Might help settle the debate.

heres me in the Lozere last summer;

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y ... directlink
  • If you really want to annoy your workmates...mix and match! Summer commuting on the Bianchi, Look shoes, lycra shorts and rugby shirt (or vest if warm enough) bring looks of both horror and disgust. Especially if you can overtake the tool in the team kit on your way in.
    And the girls in the office have got used to the small package anyway. (For ages they said "cold morning?". Little did they know it's always small)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Embrace the lycra....it will consume you at some point if your a regular cyclist :wink:

Don't be shy....man up and be proud of your curves, bumps & lumps :lol:
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    If the weather is OK I will ride my 5 1/2 miles in ordinary clothes because I can't be bothered getting changed, but if cycle gear is required then lycra is the only sensible choice. Don't worry about how you look, once you get on a bike you become invisible to most people anyway. As for walking through the office everyone will stop staring when you strip naked and get changed at your desk so don't worry about it, unless you are fat in which case get the bus.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    unless you are fat in which case get the bus.

All the more reason to get on the bike (if that's the case) :roll: :wink:
  • Nothing wrong with wearing lycra to work as a commuter, but I would advise against going too far

castellisesjcwtmar11.jpg
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Nothing wrong with wearing lycra to work as a commuter, but I would advise against going too far

castellisesjcwtmar11.jpg
    I do about 15 miles. Is that too far?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • wyadvd
    the guy on the left would look quite entertaining in a skinsuit. he must have had his day once upon a time!
  • Having been a lycra clad roadie for three years I can vouch for the benefits of wearing lycra. I've just started commuting having moved in with the missus who lives some way away and my commute involves travel by train some of the way.

As I only own lycra (I've got a pair of baggies somewhere) it's all I've used and no-one has noticed or if they have no one has stared or commented, not even other non lycra clad cyclists.

The office are quite used to me turning up dressed that way, one person usually comments but no-one thinks he's funny anyway!

My only slight concern is that I'm going to fall on my @rse stepping off the train into a puddle or ice in my shimano cleated road shoes with my bike on my shoulder, which certainly won't look very pro!
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • In the dry I wear surface liquistretch trousers (or baggies) with bamboo or merino long johns underneath when it gets really cold. In the wet, Altura attack X trousers or waterproof MTB shorts with aforementioned long johns.

I have empathy for my fellow human beings and do not wish to expose them to the aesthetic horror that is myself in lycra.
    Meta and two veg
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    The only thing we say at work is when they walk outside looking fullt clad is "On your bike today?" :wink:

As a noobie I have ordered some tights but will be wearing Altura attack shorts over them to keep me bum dry, I don't have the belly for fully Lycra quite yet.. Thats a scary picture.
  • leodis75
    Fair point, but is there actual evidence that wearing shorts over padded tights stops the padding working?

I will be using Mudguards but don’t want to cycle in wet conditions or rain in waterproof trousers.
  • leodis75
    Stanley222 wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:
    Fair point, but is there actual evidence that wearing shorts over padded tights stops the padding working?

I will be using Mudguards but don’t want to cycle in wet conditions or rain in waterproof trousers.

What evidence do you need? Cycling shorts are seamless where it counts and padded. By then adding normal clothing with normal seams and stitching it can only result in rubbing! Common sense surely?

But if they where cycling over shorts with the correct stitching so it didnt rub?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Real men just daub up in liquid latex..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Stanley222 wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:
    Stanley222 wrote:
    leodis75 wrote:

What evidence do you need? Cycling shorts are seamless where it counts and padded. By then adding normal clothing with normal seams and stitching it can only result in rubbing! Common sense surely?

But if they where cycling over shorts with the correct stitching so it didnt rub?

It's your choice but it will never be as good.

That's nonsense, the stitching would only rub against the padding, that's why mountain bike shorts come with padded inners.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I sit on my road bike for 100s of miles in shorts.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Not yet done 100 but I have done 50-70 mile rides no padding not even a hint of soreness, no worry about seams etc and no chamois creme either!

I do have some padded shorts but apart from a few short runs to try them out, havent bothered and not sure I can see the point.

I think getting the right saddle is crucial though - I couldnt do 20 miles on some of the saddles I had in the past. On my MTB I have done long runs with a Charge Spoon and it is fantastic. So much so that I bought a second for my road bike but actually have left the stock saddle that boardman put on it because its just as comfortable, if not more so.

I am looking to do some longer runs this year though - so will be staying open minded about the padding. I have also done some experimentation with compression shorts and longs and it does seem to make a difference.
  • iPete
    Stanley222 wrote:
    iPete wrote:

100 mile rides in normal non padded shorts?

No no, that would certainly hurt! Wear 'cycling' shorts over padded lycra.
  • iPete
    Pretty much yes, do love my Rapha Touring and Surface liquistretch shorts. Then again most of my riding is my commute and they are great for holding, phone keys etc. and looking smart down the pub.

I wore Humvees on a 90mile a day 18 day tour, no issues, except the above shorts/lycra combo is much better in hindsight.

For any racing, the shorts are off.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Stanley222 wrote:
    iPete wrote:

100 mile rides in normal non padded shorts?

Yup. No particular bother.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    when I was little I wouldnt dress up as spiderman because it meant wearing 'tights'. I guess somethings never change. I have no problem with a tight top, but nothing is hugging my legs and crotch in the streets.
    When I started commuting just over a year ago I found I was getting some inner leg rub. Turned out my saddle was too wide. I have no trouble doing 45 mins in joggers or shorts now.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    Yup, it's strange how so many roadies have sensitive nether regions that need padding and lycra, whereas mountain bikers ar$es seem to be made out of granite :-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I'm in no way connected to them, but these guys (www.vulpine.cc) look like they're going to have some very smart non-lycra kit when they launch next month.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • iPete
    Not every ride has to be sweat inducing? not to mention tourers, nothing wrong with cycle gear that doesn't look like cycle gear... look forward to the launch.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Puma 3/4ers for me! No-one needs to wear lycra to go to work in unless you are the office poser. For the top half, it a l/s base layer and a works t-shirt then a l/s jersey or Altura Nevis jacket for this time of year. Summer means I can get away with the works t-shirt.
    All that matters is that you are comfortable on the bike.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8