Bugger.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
So, Bike gets laid up for a week or so over Christmas

Headset bearing - seized, but moveable without too much force
Bottom Brack - rough
Wheel bearings - rough

I decide to completely strip the bike; clean thoroughly with degreaser and rebuild.

Luckily, when I built the bike, I covered everything in coppalip grease - so everything undid with relative ease, including the bottom bracket - I was surprised as I expected a fight with at least on component!

Anyway, ordered a new bottom bracket as the current one is too rough to be useable and managed to re-grease and free up the cartridge bearing in the headset (I don't want to have to replace this until summer as it is only going to get rained on in Jan/Feb/Mar)

The re-build last night went really well; lots of copper grease on all threads, quick to put back together...

Until......

I placed the carbon seatpost into the seatstay, set the torque wrench at 5nm and started to do up the bolt (the seatstay has a braze on seatclamp).

Clunk - bolt shears off in frame.....

Took the bike to Argos cycles in Bristol - they have now extracted the old bolt and replaced with a new one.

Moral of the tail is - coppaslip everything, if a bolt is 30 years + old, it will more than likely shear off under load - replace when you rebuild.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Why was your bike in such a rough state after one week on inactivity?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Surely the moral of the story is 'a stitch in time saves nine'?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • gtvlusso
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Not thoroughly cleaned after tons of rain and muck on the roads.

BB and wheels has done approx 12k miles, headset has done about 8k miles......

Also seen a crack in the seatstay where it meets the seat tube......will be back to Argos fro a re-braze and a re-paint in Feb.....
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

im guessing it must be stored under the sea

speaking of which there hasnt been any salt on the roads down these ways...which is nice
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • gtvlusso
    mudcow007 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

im guessing it must be stored under the sea

speaking of which there hasnt been any salt on the roads down these ways...which is nice

Stored outside at work and ridden on fairly awful roads......the mileage and lack of maint has killed most bearings. Although with some TLC a fair bit has come back to life.
  • mudcow007
    i love it when something has ground to a halt an you strip it clean it up an it all comes back to life

i did it recently to my old hard tail, stripped everything....i still havent used it either
  • gtvlusso
    Was also ridden through a 12" deep flood for about 2 weeks on the commute home before Christmas.....
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I hope you're packing everything with our friend White Lithium Grease on the rebuild GTV?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Was also ridden through a 12" deep flood for about 2 weeks on the commute home before Christmas.....

I'm not sure you should be allowed to own a bike.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So, Bike gets laid up for a week or so over Christmas

I placed the carbon seatpost into the seatstay, set the torque wrench at 5nm and started to do up the bolt (the seatstay has a braze on seatclamp).

Clunk - bolt shears off in frame......

That's the problem. Should have put it in th seat tube. The stays tend o be way too small ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mudcow007
    gtvlusso wrote:

i rememeber years ago a water main burst by my house flooding the local cycle route (which is a disused railway track)

the water proper flooded so i was dared to ride though on my Kona Stinky (downhill bike) i made it through but i was leaving an oil slick behind me from my suspension - it was that deep it was over my handlebars :shock:
  • gtvlusso
    SimonAH wrote:
    I hope you're packing everything with our friend White Lithium Grease on the rebuild GTV?

Our mate coppaslip!!!

Must have New Year bevvy!