Anyone know route from sheffield to east coast

patbriggsmbr
patbriggsmbr Posts: 43
edited January 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi all, I'm looking at doing a ride from Sheffield to east coast but I'm not sure of a route especially on not so busy roads.
My plan is to ride to coast stay one night then ride back next day. I don't own a garmin as I can't afford one.
Hope someone can help with a route with great scenary.
Many thanks.

Comments

• cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    edited January 2012
    Pat

I used to live in Sheffield and also Lincoln and rode between the two many times. It's not a great ride. It's hard to get off busy roads. You could always get a train from Sheff' to Gainsborogh, then start riding. That's what I'd do if I wanted a pleasant day out to the coast.

Have you got any decent maps - such as OS ones, or an AA UK road atlas to photocopy?
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • Hi. Iv got no maps at mo, people I've spoke to have got and use a garmin, which are about £300+ which I can't afford. I think there is a route which goes out through anston but Im crap at map reading.
  • I don't have a Garmin. I think map reading is something you can learn easily. Just look at the places you want to get to and head there! A compass is very useful, and they only cost a couple of quid.

If you don't want to splash out on detailed OS maps, get a cheap road atlas from one of the discount book shops on the High Street and copy the bits/pages you need. I bought mine for 99p.

Also, take a look at the Michelin site (link below). if you type in 'Sheffiled' and 'Mablethorpe' and select 'Cycle' (not car), it should display a suggested route. I've found these are not always perfect, but it's a start.

I just tried it and the route showed me going via Rotherham, following the 631 to Maltby and Tickhill, then Bawtry, Market Rasen and Louth. I would get off that route and select minor roads.

Zoom right in to see the small roads that are best for cycling...
    http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Itineraires
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Hi. Iv got no maps at mo, people I've spoke to have got and use a garmin, which are about £300+ which I can't afford. I think there is a route which goes out through anston but Im crap at map reading.

I don't want to start a debate on maps vs GPS (and I'd second the tips in the previous post); you don't need a GPS for the route you are thinking of, but equally you don't have to spend £300 - you can get a GPS with all the features you need for touring cycling for about half that - or even less. I'd recommend either the eTrex HCx Legend or the eTrex 20. Note that the eTrex Legend is an old model so I'd only get if you can find it for less than £100. The OpenCycleMap is free and pretty good.

I'd still always carry a decent map (1:200,000, or better).
  • Many thanks I didnt know about etrex will at gett ing one.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Which bit of the east coast are you aiming at - Cleethorpes end or Skeggy end?

Treeton - Ulley is a reasonably quiet route out of Sheff, then through Blyth/Bawtry/Misson/Epworth/Scunny if you are heading to Cleethorpes. Or Bawtry/Beckingham/Gainsborough or Lincoln for Skegg.

At some point you have to get to other side of the Trent, and there arent that many bridges - Scunny or Gainsbourough or Lincoln.
  • Cleethorpes would prob be the better option, I'm doing it alone, it's my first tour long distance so just a little uneasy about getting lost. Lol
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    A route from Sheffield to Gainsborough might be Kiveton Park, Worksop, Ranby, Retford, North Wheatley and Gainsborough.

Less hassle would be to take the train to Gainsboroough then it would be north on the A159, signposted Scunthorpe, then at Blyton the B1205 to Waddingham and Brandy Wharf. Then South Kelsey, North Kelsey, Caistor, A1173 down to Riby and cross the A18 and right on minor road to Healing. Hence Grimsby and Cleethorpes.

OR at Caistor take minor roads to Rothwell, Beelsby, Waltham, Humberston and Cleethorpes.

OR go South Kelsey, Moortown, Nettleton, Rothwell etc.

The relevant pages torn from a road atlas would do the job, but the OS Grimsby sheet would provide essential clarity for the post Caistor part of your route.

In 1988 or 1989 my wife's 70 years+ uncle did this trip from his home in Sheffield. Train to Gainsborough, where I met him, and on to Grimsby. He was in braces on his sturmey archer with straight bars and sports jacket on the carrier and me on tubs and full lycra - an 'odd couple' in some eyes; but he made it and a week later we retraced the journey.He was a tough stick and this thread stirs a fond memory of him.

Enjoy your trip
    T Farr
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Cleethorpes would prob be the better option, I'm doing it alone, it's my first tour long distance so just a little uneasy about getting lost. Lol

Any list of options where Cleethorpes is the best choice is pretty poor list :-)

Have you looked at www.bikehike.co.uk online route planner, you could plot your route and then dump it to a printer to take with you.

Good luck with it though, and enjoy!
  • take the trans pennine trail north from meadowhall and then east to doncaster, then east through crowle and scunthorpe? for a scenic route you can follow the quiet roads from the humber bridge east through barton and follow the signs for immingham and then grimsby.
  • Great route, will defo give that a go. The scenic side is the way to go.
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    If you went for a northerly route from Doncaster then Hatfield, Sandtoft,Belton, Beltoft and Gunness Bridge would be a quiet route. You wouldn't go to Crowle unless you were going to Goole, which would be a huge detour to your goal of reaching the east coast.

Having crossed the Trent you go sharp right and south along the east bank of the Trent to East Butterwick and then Messingham, Scawby, Brigg, Bigby turn left at Grasby and after 1.5 miles pick up Sustrans route 1.(At Bigby take the right for Somerby to avoid steep hill).

Again lots of possibilities - The Scunthorpe OS map - 112 would reveal the possibilities although it does not cover doncaster

As a footnote: Lot of publicity and chatter about David Hockney' s exhibition and the beauty of the East Yorkshire Wolds. Agreed - but the Lincolnshire Wolds are marvellous as well. And much quieter. My favourite road? Minor road on the top of the Wolds above the Elsham, Worlaby, Bonby, Saxby All Saints, Horkstow and drop down into South Ferriby. Fantastic views. And you can go off the road along the Humber Bank to the Humber Bridge.
    T Farr