Stupid brake mount q

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
is this correct?

temporary-27.jpg

203mm disc, 203mm shimano adapter.

seems to be fairly tight at the top of the caliper... wondering if I have the conical spacers at an angel or the mount is wrong. :|

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes as long as the lower washers are in the same order as the top which they look to be.

as they say a miss is as good as a mile.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    you can always add a washer if needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The top mount seems to be sitting too far to 1 side... As in - its pushed over as far as possible but still rubbing quite a bit on the rotor!
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    What fork/hub combo? Also, are the pistons fully retracted?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    As above, push the piston back in, easier to do with the pads out.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Did you centre the calliper correctly? I find that the avid '3D' mounts twist as you do the bolts up, I find I have to nip them up in turn a small amount at a time to get it to centre reliably.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    The top mount seems to be sitting too far to 1 side... As in - its pushed over as far as possible but still rubbing quite a bit on the rotor!
    so why did you not say so first time?

check the adaptor for unwanted contact. IE the bottom mount.
  • sorry nick... far too early in the am... I did, but not in a way that anyone can understand.

i don't think so, will check tonight. The caliper is a good shout though, they've been off the bike for a month with no spacers in :lol:
  • nicklouse
    but yes when fitting/refitting brakes you should always start from basics.