Endura Windchill jacket

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Just wondering if anyone's got an Endura Windchill jacket and can recommend one as a jacket I'm not going to get too sweaty in on a Winter's ride?

Looking at this jacket as the shop where I'm buying my bike on the cycle to work scheme is an Endura stockist so I can get it cheaper and pay it back over the year. But I won't get it if it's not going to do the job!

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Not used one but at that price I'd get a Gore Phantom from the Wiggle sale @ £75, it's versatile enough to use for 3 seasons with a single base layer underneath (although which baselayer would depend on the conditions). If it gets seriously cold you'll probably need a mid layer as well unless working hard...
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    I would definately recommend the endura windchill. I found it gave excellent wind and light rain protection as well as being very breatheable. For harsher conditions (heavy rain/frost) i use the stealth jacket now but the windchill got me through 2 winters.
  • El Selb
    thanks Eyebee, that's good to know. Would you say this jacket is suitable for a longer distance/weekend ride (I actually have a commuting jacket already) ? I am as much concerned with sweating and being too hot as being too cold.

Nferrar, I do hear good things about the Gore, but sadly the bike shop where I got my bike on the c2w scheme (and am yet to submit my voucher to) doesn't stock Gore kit. The £75 Endura though I could end up paying about £50 for over 12 months on the C2W scheme - as long as it's going to be the right jacket!
  • eyebee
    eyebee Posts: 257
    I used to commute/ use for weekend rides no problem and i tend to sweat easy. Everyone's different, all i can say is it works for me. I only use a baselayer underneath most of the time.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I got one over Xmas. I really like it so far - It's my first softshell so I ve not got much to compare it with, but I usually sweat like a very sweaty thing and riding in a decent temp (about 10-15deg) in a F6 wind (!!) It kept the wind off but also let the heat out (even with pit zips closed). It won't keep a proper rain shower out (but it's not cold when it's wet) but it's definitely shower/splash/puddle spray proof.

I think the fit is good for me, but I'm nothing like a cyclist shape, Maybe go a bit smaller if you want a tight roadie kit. But I use mine for MTBing and also though it looks good enough to wear generally too so I went a little bit bigger. It did nt flap last ride though!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    +1 for the Windchill jacket. I've got one (in bright red) and it has loads of great features I really like:
      Lots of well-placed refectives Zipped chest pocket with glasses wipe Zipped rear security pocket (with a waterproof insert for your phone if it rains / you sweat) Pit zips to help regulate temperature. Very well constructed, and fitted Surprisingly good rain protection

Had one for 2 years and wear it a lot when temperatures go down. Would probably have gone for a Gore Phantom but they were much more expensive at the time.

I'd recommend one :)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • El Selb
    I'm consistently amazed/impressed/delighted with the advice I get on here - cheers guys. I would probably go for the Gore if both were offered by my C2W bikeshop, but since they're not your comments make me happy to go with the Endura.

Now I just need to decide red or blue :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    I think Red is the best compromise between Look at me I'm a London Commuter but still being seen...(Endura Blue is a horrible blue in my humble opinion too). I went Black cos everything i wear MTBing ends up black eventually
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i really like the endura stuff - i have overshoes and jacket.

i also like the altura stuff. sometimes i get the two confused. endtura. aldura.