Continental Baron 2.3 black chilli - opinions???

Andyt1054
Andyt1054 Posts: 96
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I was just about to buy the usual minion/highroller combo again and these caught my eye.

Conti Baron 2.3 - black chilli, and folding

Has anybody had these on yet and how do they perform/last compared to the old faithful High Rollers???

At £45 each end I thought id ask before the credit card comes out! :lol:

Any thoughts/comments,

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Comments

• kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I know its not the same tyre, but I have the rubber queen in the black chilli compound and find the grip is very good without affecting the rolling resistance of say a super tacky maxxis tyre.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    kenan wrote:
    I know its not the same tyre, but I have the rubber queen in the black chilli compound and find the grip is very good without affecting the rolling resistance of say a super tacky maxxis tyre.

+ chilli
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Hijack alert - is there a big difference in quality/grip between the chilli and none chilli, as the none chilli's are seriously cheap. Sure I saw them for about £20 a pair on the bay.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye, interested in these meself... Hoping to find something decent in mud but a bit less draggy than a donkey or hillbilly... Interested how they size up too, 2.3 conti means somewhere between -6 inches and 17 feet.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Northwind wrote:
    Aye, interested in these meself... Hoping to find something decent in mud but a bit less draggy than a donkey or hillbilly... Interested how they size up too, 2.3 conti means somewhere between -6 inches and 17 feet.

I got the 2.2 rubber queens that I swap over in nasty conditions and they are more than big enough. The 2.4s are huuuuuuu uuuuuuge, apparently.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Mine were 2.4 from knob to knob :lol: Tall though, and huge volume.

Sizing makes me laugh... One of the mags- think it was MBUK- said the Specialized Eskar 2.3 "comes up very large". Actually, it comes up slightly undersized, but Highroller Inches are the default now so everyone expects a 2.3 to be pretty small, and when you see a real one they seem immense.

This will all change when I'm Supreme Divine Emperor.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Northwind wrote:
    This will all change when I'm Supreme Divine Emperor.

When you are bring back natural selection. . . .
  • madmax245
    madmax245 Posts: 108
    this tyre is vrey good on wet roots and rocks and is good on loose stuff
    big for the stated size though
    live to ride ,ride to live
    If I'm not riding I'm not happy.
  • castlelad
    castlelad Posts: 414
    I'v got a 2.2 conti rubber queen at the back, very grippy in the dry and not too bad in the wet and mud, got a cont vertical,2.3 at the front grips really really well and aint too bad rolling wise and the queen "dwarfs " it in height and volume.....tried it opp way round at first and it just looked really weird.....
  • It was a difficult selection for my front tyre but I was eventually drawn to the Bontrager XR4 2.2 (Team Issue TLR). It looks a well priced all rounder 3 season summer tyre. However English summer for the last 4 years has been wet and muddy, and this year although warmer June has been a wash out. So instead I am seriously considering Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili with 180tpi (850g) as my all round / year tyre. Baron doesn’t have many write up’s but all are good and it appears a good choice for British conditions. My only worry is on some rides we do many miles on roads, and it is not a hard pack tyre. What do you guys running it think about it on roads and for U.K. conditions?
    I think I will probably go with it and see, but I shall then be asking opinions for a rear to match it.
    LRRs
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Andyt1054 wrote:
    At £45 each end I thought id ask before the credit card comes out! :lol:

You're looking for love in all the wrong places...as I once told a guy that had $h1t on his nose :wink:

You can get these for £30 each from ze Germans - plus delivery of course but you'll save yourself at least £20 on a pair
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Andyt1054 wrote:
    Any thoughts/comments,

got some different tyres in black chilli, me likey

black chilli compound varies a bit from tyre to tyre depending on intended use. so I can't want to say much about the barons - however - I'd happily buy more conti black chillis of any flavour
  • Would you recommend another Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili to match or another tyre either front or back, for all year all round use?

What tyre is best to pair with Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili?
    Thanks!
    LRRs
  • Andyt1054 wrote:
    Conti Baron 2.3 - black chilli, and folding
    Has anybody had these on yet and how do they perform?
    Any thoughts/comments,
    Thanks in advance!
    Andy

Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili 3ply 180tpi folding tyre, used up front with an inner tube at 38psi.
    Had it 5 weeks and done 160+ miles on everything and in everything except snow and ice. 2 days around Gisburn Forest and in the wet / mud, the lot.
    SUPERB! :)
    LRRs