Back in the saddle but need some advise/motivation please

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Having been of the bike for 15months after a back injury after accident I have put almost 2 stone on!!!

I have been given the all clear and have just started to do some light stuff on the turbo trainer (15 mins) I am 51 years old and now weigh a massive 16 stone.

Two questions

1. Any advise on what length rides I should do to start and frequency etc?

2. What loose fitting winter jacket should I buy, lots appear to be "fitted"

Here's to getting my life back on track and the love of cycling

Ian

Comments

• denzzz28
    denzzz28 Posts: 315
    Ian,

With regards to length of ride and frequency , it really depends on your stamina and the type of terrain your planning to ride. to start with do not force your self in doing long rides. start with 20miles (or less) and if you feel like you can cycle longer, then add another 5 to 10miles the next time you ride. it also help if you have a regular cycling buddy. cycling buddies have two benefits. 1) You have someone to help you just in case you had an accident and 2) long rides can be boring so you may want someone to talk to whilst your eating up the miles.

about winter jackets, you might want to try those mountain bikers use. they are quite loose. but having said that why would you want a loose one? to be honest you want to be as tight as you can in road cycling as it benefits aero dynamics.

i have done plenty sportive events last year and i really like it. i started with short to medium courses (25-45miles) at the beginning but i have been doing a lot of long courses lately (70miles +). one thing i like about sportives is they are well organised and the scenery and the experience is just breath taking (sometimes literally). UK cycling events is one of the best sportive organisers in the UK you might want to check them out. by the way sportive season starts around march.

if you want to loose weight then cycling alone will not do the trick. although cycling long miles will greatly burn out all your excess fats but having a good diet is equally important. if you are not cycling, its advisable to do a proper weight loss diet "BUT" you dont do that 3 days before an event. for example if you plan on cycling long miles this sunday then then eating plenty of rice or pasta around wednesday then stop at saturday. you dont want to be under nourished when cycling otherwise you suffer.

I hope this helps to encourage you to cycle. cheers

Dennis
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Do you have an android phone or similar.

I had been off for a month or two and completely lost my motivation.

I downloaded Endomondo, and as well as being useful to track training, find it a wonderful motivator, to be able to enter the free challenges on the website, and 'compete' against others. Its quite addictive trying to move up a place in the chart, by getting out on your bike.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I'm assuming you haven't really done much exercise if you've been injured? (and therefore you're base fitness isn't very good?)

I would ease into it and maybe do 3x 10 miles rides in the first week and go from there -> just ride at a steady (slowish) pace: i think zone 2 for heart rate is recommended for base miles.

Then its just a case of upping the distances and including in shorter, sharper fat burning sessions as you get fitter.

If you crack on with 20-30miles rides and you're not fit enough, or you start pushing too hard in shorter sessions, you'll just end up feeling sore and training less... and potentially getting overuse injuries due to weak knees, unconditioned muscles etc.

I've used this method twice this year -> once after an appendectomy in April (nice burst appendix...), and again after another operation in november (to clear up an infection caused by the burst appendix).. and it works well.

You will probably find that you're up to 30+ miles surprisingly quickly.

(also fitted jackets are better at keeping the cold out.. and when you loose weight it will become loose anyway :wink: )
  • flyer
    flyer Posts: 608
    Some good tip thanks everyone

Just going out now for my first 10 miles in 15 months!!! I used to do 60+ easy, oh how things change

Thanks again

Ian
  • I second Nairnster re Endomondo, It's a great app, and I'm using it to for a number of reasons.

1) Track my mileage / calories burn't

2) track my routes, so I can see where I got lost, it uses google maps for the sat nav element.

Even if you don't have a smartfone you can add routes manually.

I find it a great motivator, seeing what I've burnt, seeing my times improve and learning my local geography.

Distance wise, I was only in the saddle 2 month before a long established injury forced me to quit for 6 months, (3 months on waiting list and 3 months post op recovery)

Jan1st set my years goals, cycle 3000 miles lose 9kg

Prior to stopping was up to 120 miles a week, 1st run back 3 weeks ago was about 6 miles, now up to 35.

Joined my local club on Monday, 1st club run today, loved it, will be back out for the more demanding one on Sat.

Your body will let you know what you can / can't do...listen to it and enjoy getting your fitness levels back