Exmoor Beauty

2»

Comments

• _andy
    _andy Posts: 22
    Yes, that descent was really tricky, I went ultra slow down it, my hands ached at the bottom from hanging on to the brake levers, hope the guy is ok.

I was pleased with my time, but not pleased with my puncture as I had one on the Exmoor Beast when I did that and it also cost me a lot of time which is annoying but one of those things I guess.

NITR8's , I was on one of the hundreds of specialized, nothing special really, easton wheels, blue tyres, blue bar tape.

Have to say, your time was really good if that is your first ride over that distance, very well done indeed.

I know this was touted as the baby sister to the Ex Beast but I have ridden both and whilst the Beast has the climb back up Crook Horn Hill and then the grind up to the top of the moor, plus the climb out of lynmouth and overall has more elevation gain this one had a few nasty little climbs too so I thought it was pretty tough. Add the weather on top of that and it made for an interesting day!
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Yer I lost count of the amount of Specialized bikes that passed me. Im hoping to do the 100 miler beast later this year, but need to get in a lot more training and defo some waterproofs + arm leg warmers as I think I lost a lot of energy just trying to stay warm.
  • _andy
    Good luck with it, sound idea on the waterproofs and warm clothing, very glad i wore my waterproof jacket and overshoes yesterday, I was in two minds in the morning but luckily made the right choice.

I might do the 100 this year as well, depends how the next few months of training go.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    NITR8s - That's AMAZING for your first sportive, what a choice to make your first!!!! Wow. I was on a white BMC with blue Twickenham CC club kit on.

I also agree the descents were tricky in the wet, I have literally worn through my pads from holding them so tight, I would like to do them again in the dry and see how it goes. I also hope that guy is ok, I'm surprised there weren't more accidents if I'm being honest, I nearly lost it a few times on the cross winds.

_Andy, unlucky on your puncture! At least it only took you 12 minutes... I stopped at some guy who'd apparently been trying to do a repair for 40 minutes so I threw him a spare tube haha, it was a nice feeling to see his wet face light up

Anne S. - I think the quick time is purely as we were racing for the warm room! I had my waterproof coat in my back pocket but by the time I was about to put it on I was already soaked.
  • NITR8s
    Thanks for the positive comments, I acutally do recall a white BMC go sailing past at about watchet. Hopefully its the first of many, although I ache a bit I just wanna get back out on my bike. But I better check if my brake pads are ok, although they were brand new at the start I dont think their is much life left now.
  • rowman
    rowman Posts: 111
    Very bad news concerning the man trapped under the car on Dunkery Beacon. The police are also appealing for witnesses?

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Cyclist ... story.html
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    But I better check if my brake pads are ok, although they were brand new at the start I dont think their is much life left now.

If that ride has done in your pads change brands.

In the last 6 weeks I've done 260,000 feet of Exmoor climbing/descending, including yesterdays 6,000 feet, on one set of pads which weren't new 6 weeks ago.

However, having just read the post about the crash on Dunkery, I've just changed them now. My very best wishes to him.
  • NITR8s
    rowman wrote:
    Very bad news concerning the man trapped under the car on Dunkery Beacon. The police are also appealing for witnesses?

The driver must have no conscience, even if it wasnt the drivers fault. How could you not be on the phone to the hospital trying to find out how the cyclist is.

Re Brake Pads, Im sure they dont need changing I was just exaduating because of how much I used the brakes on yesterdays decents.
  • vs
    Yes Exmoor is a tad hilly...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Being a thicky, what's the difference between the Gun time and Chip time? I note the results are ranked in Chip time so is that the actual time taken overall rather than the sign on/sign off at registration??
  • NITR8s
    Gun time should be from the point the first rider set off(When the person says go for the first time or shots the gun to simbol the start and chip time is from when you personally crossed the start. In a race the winner is usually the person with the fasted gun time and not the fasted chip time. I.e the first person to cross the line first. Thats why faster people should be at the front.
  • vs
    In a race the winner is usually the person with the fasted gun time and not the fasted chip time. I.e the first person to cross the line first. Thats why faster people should be at the front.

Except of course it's not a race...silly having the gun time thingy imho - everyones time has to be from when they started.
  • _andy
    Islwyn wrote:
    ".............

_Andy, unlucky on your puncture! At least it only took you 12 minutes... I stopped at some guy who'd apparently been trying to do a repair for 40 minutes so I threw him a spare tube haha, it was a nice feeling to see his wet face light up

Good on you for doing that for him and giving him a spare tube, that probably made his day.. I did consider what I would do should I get a second pincture, i would have to fix it but would never have got the tube dry... someone rode past me and said i was the third puncture in half a mile, nightmare.. Took me ages to pump up the tyre as well, might have to go back to gas canisters..
  • vs
    said i was the third puncture in half a mile, nightmare..
    almost certainly because they didn't remove the offending article from their tyre.
  • _andy
    vs wrote:
    said i was the third puncture in half a mile, nightmare..
    almost certainly because they didn't remove the offending article from their tyre.

No I think they meant I was the third person in half a mile to get a flat..
  • vs
    Sorry, yeah, just re-read that :)
  • _andy
    vs wrote:
    Sorry, yeah, just re-read that :)

:)
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I always used to ask if someone was ok at the side of the road, even on events...although when I punctured on an audax last year I found that having 50 people cycle past and each one ask me if I was ok to get a tad trying (as in I just wanted to get on and fix the damn thing)...I haven't learned though as I still ask folks if they are ok, just seems to be the right thing :)

I am always happy to give away a sticky patch. By the way, a small box of Parker sticky patches in the saddle bag is always useful. I always carry two spare tubes (in case I hit a pothole front and rear) but the stickys are a good 'get out of jail' card for anything else.
  • jaysconi
    jaysconi Posts: 1
    fantastic day even with the rain and the wind my first sportive and definatly not my last, already looking for my next which is hopefully soon. Any more news on the poor fella trapped under the car on the decent from duncary beacon?
  • islwyn
    Photos are up on Sportivephoto.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Cyclist out of danger, and the driver has contacted the police:

• Good to hear fallen rider out of danger. I came across the accident with ambulance attending and several riders trying to help out. Reminded me how vulnerable we are, anything we hit tends to be very hard and unforgiving. Took the rest of the ride at a subdued pace!
    Have done the beast twice, my first one in 2009! Best time 4hr 30, but the beauty was 5hr 30, thought it was tough, especially climb after Dulverton feed, relentless, then sidewind/hail on the moor. Lucky no punctures.
    Let's stay safe.
    Rides.2010 Willer Izoard Centaur.
    1986 Harry Hall Tri. 105 6 speed.Reynolds 531c
  • islwyn
    Goes to show you should always wear a helmet and for it to be the most expensive bit of equipment you own... You get what you pay for, your head cannot be replaced.

This means me aswell, goodbye Specialized helmet.