i think i have a dodgy fox

fredy
fredy Posts: 308
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys!
I recently bought myself a canyon nerve AM 7 which comes with a 150mm fox 32 talas FIT RL fork and currently it's a bit poo (worse than my epicons!). Haven't given the bike a good thrashing yet but i'ts pretty hard not to notice how dry and sticky it feels i.e. physically dry to touch and sufferes from plenty of stiction; not good for a brand new and (for me at least) expensive fork.
I don't know if this is normal for a brand new fork, do i just need to 'break them in'? If not then my plan is to give them a good service and change the oil but fox's support web site is far too confusing (no idea if i have talas II or III or what year they were made so i can't just look up my exact fork).
Does anyone know what oil it takes? many places say 7wt and many others say 10wt. And do i use red or green or both?
So far i know enough to top up the float oil but the rest gets confusing with all the differnet varieties of possible forks i may or may not have.
I big thank you goes out to anyone who can help me!
Cheers,
fredy.

Comments

• fredy
    Here's a link to web site i was talking about: http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    let them bed in, the stiction will reduce once they've bedded in

you could use some fork juice on them it will help reduce the stiction
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • fredy
    Cheers! how long does this normally take? so far the bike has done about 20 miles of easy riding and there has been no improvement yet. I have ordered some float fluid for the sponges but don't know what suspension fluid to get due to the confusing web site.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Sounds like you need to take it out for a proper ride, get using some of that travel and let things settle in.
    You shouldn't need to be messing with / servicing anything just yet.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    And I may be wrong, but think i've read that if you service the fox shocks yourself, you void the warranty? I wouldn't be doing this on a new bike, especially as it sounds like its not even been dirty yet.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I would be inclined to email Canyon first.

uk@canyon.com
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I am by no means an expert but I recently read somewhere that you should put your bike upside down for a few minutes before riding in order to allow the oil to lube the foam rings and seals. I tried this before my last ride and it definitely made a difference.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Shackster wrote:
    I am by no means an expert but I recently read somewhere that you should put your bike upside down for a few minutes before riding in order to allow the oil to lube the foam rings and seals. I tried this before my last ride and it definitely made a difference.
    It will help as it lubricates the foam wipers
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • just put a bit of fork lube on the stantions and ride it... will soon losen up.
  • fredy
    Ok will try all the sugestions, cheers guys!