used specialized sirrus

moggy12
moggy12 Posts: 109
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
just got a used 2009 specialized sirrus elite for £160 with front rear lights and cycle computer in good nick is this a good price ? i cant see on the bike anything saying elite how do i know if i have the basic sirrus or the elite ? thanks for any replys

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Have a gander at the Specialized archive.
  • moggy12
    thanks for the info it has the shimano sora on the rear so i know its not the basic sirrus but has i can see only difference between next model up which is the sport and the elite i should have is the carbon forks can;t tell if there are carbon or not
  • I have a base model sirrus 2008/9, mine has a sora rear mech. Higher models have the zertz inserts in the forks and seat stays I think. Should be easy to tell if it's got a carbon fork or not?
  • DrLex
    If it's the one on eBay, although blurry pictures, I reckon that's a match to the 2009 Elite, as the seat stays and fork legs look to be carbon & match the archive shot. If the bike's in good nick, then that seems to me a good price.
  • DrLex
    Hmmm- doesn't look like an elite, more like the base or sport. This eBay one is an elite. You'd need to check the components & the fork/stays (they'll sound different when rapped) against the spec. sheets, but can't think why someone would remove the "elite" decal.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    That's a base model '07/'08, aluminium forks with a steel steerer, £399 when new. I ride one myself.
  • moggy12
    i think your are right pete54 found pic of a 2008 base model looks the same has mine do you thing £160 was a ok deal ? thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    £160 was OK, not brilliant but not a rip off.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    Reasonable price if well maintained.

I'd like to think mine was worth that, but it's had a new headset, chainring, several chains, a couple of cassettes, a new wheelset etc. etc. in the four years since new. It has plenty of scratches on the paint, but is perfect mechanically.

Watch out for the fork steerer, it's steel and rusts. They had to hammer the forks out to replace the headset on mine.

If it has the original suspension seatpost, replace it as it's useless.
  • pete54 wrote:
    That's a base model '07/'08, aluminium forks with a steel steerer, £399 when new. I ride one myself.

+1

Same as mine, it's a base model. I paid £300 for mine new (old stock) 18months ago.