Please Help Me Decide

pompeymac
pompeymac Posts: 3
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
Hi folks, can anyone help me make up my mind?
I am looking for a hybrid bike for fitness purposes. Mainly for use on cycle paths hence the reason for a hybrid as opposed to a road bike. ( not keen on cycling on the roads in my area, too many boy racers and big trucks ). Basically I want a road bike but with better puncture protection for use on bike tracks. I have a budget of £300 to £400 at a push. I have narrowed it down to two. The first one being the Revolution Courier Race from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op at a cost of £249.99 or the disc model at £299.99 in the sale
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=13013&f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SupersetQRY=C432&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018333c018336
The second is a GT Traffic 2.0 from Wiggle at £275 in their sale.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-traffic-20-2011/
I live about an hour from Edinburgh so could go and collect the Revolutions but I like the look of the GT and the retail price is usually £550 so its a cracking deal. I would like to know your thoughts as I cant decide. Your help would be much appreciated.
Regards
Scott :?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Whatever you get, THE puncture resistant tyre is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, they are a pain to fit but many many people NEVER puncture them.

The GT is a far better specced bike, whilst the Rev is good value for money, it can't compete with the GT at THAT price .... also consider the Carrera Gryphon from Halfords in V or disc trim, possibly not quite a vale match for the GT at that price though.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for that Simon.
    Yeah I am certainly leaning towards the GT.
    Scott
  • Whatever you get, THE puncture resistant tyre is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus, they are a pain to fit but many many people NEVER puncture them. +1

Ran over a glass bottle last night... this morning... no puncture! Good purchase :-)

Downside, need better bike lights
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have run over a fair few on my Slickasaurus and only ever had the one P (I ride across a Uni campus, a Monday morning can be a bit of an obstacle course!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.