Tour de Ski

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Saw the back end of this on Eurosport whilst ironing this morning.

Looked quality.

Inspired by the TdF, it's an 8 day stage race for cross country skiing.

The bit I saw was what looked like an MTF > and it was the final stage of the race.

Figured us pro-cycling fans might want to take a look.

Comments

• Yup just seen a little of the ladies too. Looks like torture but strangely exciting!
  • The winner's average heart rate on the long final climb was 93% of max. Her technique isn't textbook (her descending is nervous and climbing too biased to one strong side) but her work rate is amazing.
    Saturday's race was probably the better race but that one was classic style (the striding technique) over a rolling terrain, so a different spectacle. That variety of format is what makes this ski stage race interesting.
  • rick_chasey
    The winner's average heart rate on the long final climb was 93% of max. Her technique isn't textbook (her descending is nervous and climbing too biased to one strong side) but her work rate is amazing.
    Saturday's race was probably the better race but that one was classic style (the striding technique) over a rolling terrain, so a different spectacle. That variety of format is what makes this ski stage race interesting.

A fan I take it?

Not just of TdS but cross country skiing?

(find biathlon more accessible myself)
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Love both XC and Biathlon, the TdS was ace this year, a couple of great stages in both men's and women's competitions and the final stage Alpe Cermis climb with ramps up to 28% was awesome; they said it was a blue level ski run in steepness. Fills a bit of the cycling on TV void in winter for me.
  • I've been watching some of it, too much like very hard work. I'll stick to getting on a lift to go uphill& have a pair of skis firmly fixed to my feet when going down.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686

Looked quality.

The bit I saw was what looked like an MTF > and it was the final stage of the race.

I thought you had a girlfriend.
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    Yeah I would love to so some XC. Watched the end of the Zermatt - Verbier race Patrouille des Glaciers. When in the Alps I'm a downhill man, but skinning seems to be getting more and more popular so I hope to give it a go. Amazing workout with a reward at the end.
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:

Looked quality.

I thought you had a girlfriend.

Welcome to the world of the 21st Century cutting edge man ;)