Cycle Jumble Manchester Velodrome Sunday

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Anyone off to the jumble on Sunday?

I'll be going to have a mooch about and see if there are any bargains, hopefully there are.

If people are going then maybe we could could meet up for a bikeradar coffee?

http://www.nationalcyclingcentre.com/a/britains-biggest-indoor-cycle-jumble
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    if i can persuade my mrs to let me go, i might be getting involved, im after a brookes seat for my vintage
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    I've been every year since the first one (12 years ago?) I always got stocked up on clothing, tyres and spares that may come in useful one day - now got a cupboard full of obsolete stuff.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Birthday cash might come in handy...............
  • I got a leaflet about this with my Velodrome vouchers.

Quick question... I'm just going through the first bike purchasing experience. Would it be worth me waiting and trying the Jumble to see if I can get a real bargain for a first bike? Or is it not really that sort of stuff available?

Thanks.
  • Old Tuggo
    You do get some complete road bikes there at bargain prices its worth having a look. If you don't find a bike you can get kitted out with clothes.
  • Excellent, I'll probably head over then. I've got some birthday cash to burn as well.
  • Having not been to one of these, is it generally a cash only affair or will cheques be ok?

I'm presuming cards won't work? Just working out how much to take with me in case I find a complete bike at a good price.

Cheers.
  • want to go but sadly money comes in monday, so im skint till then =/

if anyone goes down let me know if i missed out on a trispoke for the front lol.
    best bike: raleigh avanti U6 carbon comp
    10m tt pb:23:42.
    25m tt pb: 1h 2min( only done 2)
  • Old Tuggo
    It is generally cash only and one can often negotiate a discount. There are however often dealers there who will accept a card or cheque. With regard to complete bikes there are not usually a lot but I have seen some bargains in the past.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    A couple of my mates are planning to go so i think i'll be there too. Got no money to buy anything though after buying a Tacx Fortius on Friday :D
  • Well I've got a bit of cash out in case of a complete bike bargain (perhaps wishful thinking as I'm an awkward size – although actually maybe there is more chance?).

Wirral_Paul, how weird, just read this post on my phone while sitting in my mothers flat in Heswall!
  • Wirral_paul
    AndyMalone wrote:
    Wirral_Paul, how weird, just read this post on my phone while sitting in my mothers flat in Heswall!

Spooky - you're not a stalker are you?? I'm just down by the river at home anyway - with the 1:10 climb to go anywhere for starters
  • Spooky - you're not a stalker are you?? I'm just down by the river at home anyway - with the 1:10 climb to go anywhere for starters

No, I'm not a stalker (although I'm pretty sure a real stalker would say that as well). Mum's place is just off Telegraph road so once I get my bike I won't have to be doing the coastal climbs to see her. Might pick your brains about some nice local routes sometime if that's ok?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Anyone go. Took the kids so it cost me £5 in chocolate pop and coffee before we paid £5 to get in.

Picked up a brand new Blackburn Air Tower for £18, and a mint Selle Italia Carbon SLR Gel Flow saddle for £20 (£100 saddle) - well chuffed.

Some bargains there if you wanted specific stuff. Wanted 8 or 9 speed down tube shifters for my Ribble, but there were none.

Some really nice frames on sale. Spotted a Team Raleigh 653 that was mint.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Yea I went and got a couple of bits. A zefal mini pump for £8. And a set of brand new Look Keo grip cleats with fixings and brand new cleat covers for £4!! Bargain!!
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Old Tuggo
    As usual I bought some stuff I did not really need but was a bargain e.g. New Campag Veloce Rear Mech for £10 but only suitable for down tube levers. Also bought windtex overshoes £10, set of lights £6, new delta pedals & cleats £20, used Sidi shoes £6, new winter tyres £5 each. I have never seen it so busy in all the years I have been going.
  • Wirral_paul
    AndyMalone wrote:
    Spooky - you're not a stalker are you?? I'm just down by the river at home anyway - with the 1:10 climb to go anywhere for starters

No, I'm not a stalker (although I'm pretty sure a real stalker would say that as well). Mum's place is just off Telegraph road so once I get my bike I won't have to be doing the coastal climbs to see her. Might pick your brains about some nice local routes sometime if that's ok?

Anytime mate. Just drop me a PM and i could direct you to a few routes that we do which are plotted using Garmin GPS.
  • Anytime mate. Just drop me a PM and i could direct you to a few routes that we do which are plotted using Garmin GPS.

Thanks, will do.

I went along to the Cycle Jumble, ended up being one of the first in after a fortunate change of crowd direction as I was buying my ticket. Unfortunately I didn't find a complete bike as expected and spent a lot of time looking at things that looked good but that I had no idea if they actually were good (or at a good price). I think if I'd had some specifics I was looking for it would have been useful.

However, I went from the jumble to my LBS and ordered myself an Allez. :)
  • Did anyone bag Vicky P's undercrackers?
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.