Organise my pannier

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I habitually commute with a single pannier. It is one of the better quality Lidl ones that is effectively an Ortieb copy. I'm happy with the fixing, the capacity and the water resistance, but I haven't come up with a satisfactory way of organising my kit. What I do now is use carrier bags. Lots of carrier bags. One bag is used to pack my clean work clothes, a second for wash kit and toiletries, a third for tools, spare tube, spare lights etc. a 4th is used for valuables (keys, phone, wallet etc.), another is used for 'wet stuff' and I carry spares in case I need to carry papers etc. for work. The D lock and cable are carried loose. The rational for different bags is to help me pack without forgetting anything, and to help find what I need, The carriers wear out and need to be replaced regularly. There must be a better way to organise kit - what do you do?
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• I've got a locker at work :-)
    Seriously though, some shops' bags are a bit sturdier, I use 'Tote Bags', the kind you get from sportives as musettes. I use these when Hillwalking too, to organise clean from dirty clothes and food etc. They're not waterproof, but waterproof isn't always a good idea. A quick google of Arkel's site failed to find their rant about why waterproof can be disadvantageous, but I digress...
    Wrap you tools/puncture kit/tube with an elastic band, stops them jangling over potholes (insulating tape works and can be used for emergencies)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • I use nylon drawstring bags, some might call them trainer bags. I have a few from races that I have done and usually pick up some at cycle shows or other sport related exhibitions. I use different colours so I can distinguish what everything is without pulling the bags out. An alternative woudl be dry bags.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I have the same panniers and also only use the one. Tools go in my little saddle pack, keeps them away from everything else and they move around too much in the pannier. Lunch in my sandwich box at the bottom of the pannier and change of clothes in a carrier bag on top. The EPO seems to do a fair amount of shopping in H&M and I find there carrier bags quite good.
  • I use trainer bags too - one has all the wet weather gear, one has the puncture repairs. They generally sit at the bottom of the pannier. I tend to just fold my work clothes and lay them on top rather than having yet another bag in there.
  • I use Waitrose Large-size resealable freezer bags inside my rucsac or pannier They are stronger than carrier bags and can take a folded shirt, rolled trousers, or an a4 pad. One lasts about a month and are waterproof.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Awww, I thought this was going to be about a new reality TV show
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Awww, I thought this was going to be about a new reality TV show

Nah, perhaps you are getting confused with "X-Pannier" or "I'm a celebrity get me ortieb here!"
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem