Moda Legato2010/2011 or Boardman CX Team

Burno
Burno Posts: 5
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help. I'm looking to buy a new bike to commute. I initially went down the road bike route but after more research I decided to go for a cyclo x mainly due to the fact they are more robust!

My LBS is pushing me towards a 2011 Moda Legato saying they are really good frames & very light! However, I've seen the 2010 version cheaper! Then all the reviews are hyping up the Boardman!.. I am open to suggestions but I really don't want to go past the £1k mark (but I could be persuaded!)

Hopefully someone can point me the right direction! (not necessarily Halfords!)

Decisions decisions

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Ive just had a quick look at the Moda Legato and it seems like it would be spot on. Full SRAM Apex groupset by the looks of it, and it has an American Classic Hurricane wheelset which retails at around £400 I think? Seems like a bargain. I know alot of people seem to rate the Moda bikes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Burno wrote:
    I initially went down the road bike route but after more research I decided to go for a cyclo x mainly due to the fact they are more robust!

Road bikes are quite capable of coping with the cobbles of Paris Roubaix - unless your commute is partly off road, a road bike will be far tougher than you'd strictly speaking need it to be.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What about tyre clearances?

Mudguard space?

Rack mounts?

I had (and have still got, but don't use) a Ribbel Sportive Carbon.

In the summer it was brilliant for commuting, but there's no potential to put tyres over ~25mm on (no ice spikes) no rack mounting points for a pannier. Crud RoadRacers work well, so the lack of mounting points for guards wasn't such an issue.

But now I've got a Boardman CX, it's a little bit slower, but stiffer and more robust feeling. The disc brakes are much, much, much more reliable when it's wet. And if we actually get a proper winter, I'll be able to keep riding to work.

Practicality has to be a consideration with a commuting bike.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."