First Ride with SPD's

puppiesdanglybits
puppiesdanglybits Posts: 101
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Well took the plunge & bought some Shimano SPD's & shoe's with Santa's Evans vouchers. Have to say I was more than a little apprehensive never having used these & only being back back on a road bike since late October after 27 years out.
I can't believe the difference they made & how easy they were to use, clipped in & out no problem (did try once in the garage before I went out though)
It may just be me but I really felt I was pedaling so much more efficiently & without really pushing myself matched my best avaerage around one of my favourite routes, despite being ill all week, can't wait until I am back breathing properly & can really try them out.
I am sure there are other newbies out there pondering a similar move & I would say just do it, you won't look back.

Comments

• Just in the process of buying my first road bike. I was planning to start with straps and then go up to clipless after a few months (save a bit on the initial spend and also get used to riding again). Do you think this is the way to go or shall I just get the SPDs on from the start?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Go with SPDs from the start, I recently switched and they are so much better than normal shoes!

You can really feel the extra power being transmitted through the stiffer shoe+ pedal combo. The SLs also make you feel more secure on the pedals so you can really stomp on them. I wouldn't even think about riding without them now

I've used both SPDs and SPD-SL and would probably recommend SDPs for a beginner as you can really loosen the spring tension to make them easier to unclip from... in fact i was surprised by how hard it was to unclip from my new 105 SPD-SLs when compared to the SPDs.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Just go SPD with a decent soled road style SPD shoe, for eg something like mavic razor is pretty good at the budget end (if it fits).

Maybe get a pedal with one flat side and one SPD side so you have a "bail out" if you get a bit flustered at any point, you can use the flats.

I taught my missus on shimano m324 pedals but to be honest after about 30 mins she never used the flats again and always cycles in the SPD shoes, it's not hard, you just hear lots of stories about people being muppets at lights etc. Not everyone falls off!!

Multi release SPD cleats might be a good idea for a while (with tension backed off on pedals too), just make sure you train yourself to release heel out for when you swap to normal cleats. Multis release heel in, heel out and also if you pull straight up, hard. Good for beginners as a safety measure if you do have a "moment", you'll likely survive!!

Normal SPD cleats are a much better idea long term as you'll want the secure grip (and maybe more tension on the pedal mech) when used to cleats but they only release heel out like most systems.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Big difference eh?

This year I traded up my soft, decade old and now somewhat loose (feet must be shrinking) MTB SPDs for a new pair of rigid, neat fitting road shoes. The change is at least equal to going clipless in the first place (possibly a poor example as the old shoes were loose) If anyone out there having come over from the mud is soldiering on with soft, heavy MTB shoes I can recommend you make the change!

Gone over to Look cleats and find the in/out more natural, though possibly my old SPD pedals were getting a bit past it.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DesB3rd wrote:
    (possibly a poor example as the old shoes were loose)

This. Actually, M520 MTB pedals are a good idea to start with. Unless you are going several hours in the saddle, there is probably no negative side to the MTB pedals over Road shoes (and even then its marginal).

The SPD MTB pedals are
    1) cheaper than road pedals
    2) the cleats last far longer
    3) they are double sided so easier to clip in
    4) the clip in action is simpler as well
    5) you can get shoes that accept both types of cleat

I use both but keep the road pedals for my posh, summer bike. Their principal advantage over the MTB pedals is that they look more correct :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • When I started road cycling I went with SPD's as you can get shoes that look like road shoes but with a bit of tread.

Why? Cause I stop for a coffee (and cake!) halfway on a ride and I want to be able to walk normally to a shop, road shoes were smooth and treadless which could cause a problem whilst walking.

Depends on what your plans are....

PS - I've fallen over twice whilst clipped in, once at a t-junction (outside the halfway cafe) :oops: and another one on a steep hill where I fell over into a ditch :lol: . Laughed my ar$e off doing it, - falling over whilst clipped in is rite of passage really.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I've been riding with SPD's and DHB M1 MTB shoes on my roadie and they are spot on, and having asked about the differences between SPD and SL's, I'm sticking with SPD's. Will get some road shoes in springtime though but the MTB's are great for winter use and cafe stops 8)

I've got Shimano M540 pedals (come with cleats) and on offer at Halfords £36.99 at present (retail £69.99 allegedly!) with 3% cashback via quidco :wink: Good pedals IMO
  • Shimano 540's I think is what I went for, price matched down from £40 to £26 & specialized road shows both for under £80 which I thought was good value, cheaper & lighter than MTB's I was looking at & look better as well :lol:
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Good deal you had there then 8)

First set of pedals I picked up with the shoes for £40 all in, and they where as good as new. Put them on my hybrid commuter :)
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    AndyMalone wrote:
    Just in the process of buying my first road bike. I was planning to start with straps and then go up to clipless after a few months (save a bit on the initial spend and also get used to riding again). Do you think this is the way to go or shall I just get the SPDs on from the start?

Just take the plunge, SPD are much easier than perceptions might suggest and so much better for riding.

D :D
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Rolf F wrote:
    DesB3rd wrote:
    (possibly a poor example as the old shoes were loose)

This. Actually, M520 MTB pedals are a good idea to start with. Unless you are going several hours in the saddle, there is probably no negative side to the MTB pedals over Road shoes (and even then its marginal).

The SPD MTB pedals are
    1) cheaper than road pedals
    2) the cleats last far longer
    3) they are double sided so easier to clip in
    4) the clip in action is simpler as well
    5) you can get shoes that accept both types of cleat

I use both but keep the road pedals for my posh, summer bike. Their principal advantage over the MTB pedals is that they look more correct :lol:

+1. I got into SPD years ago with these and a combination of comfort, ease and probably laziness have kept me using them for commuting, sunday rides and touring.

D :D
  • Being new to cycling the whole pedal and shoe issue is right over my head. Unfortunately, I am having to do things on a budget.

Would any of these shoes be any good? - http://www.sportsdirect.com/cycling/cyc ... =PRICE_ASC

If not, could someone post some recommendations in terms of budget shoes, pedals and cleats.

Thanks
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I doubt those shoes will be decent...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r1-road-cycling-shoe/ these on the other hand get great reviews and are only £40.

the fit of the shoe is very important though.. so best to find a shoe that fits well and just pay up or you'll end up regretting it.
  • I doubt those shoes will be decent...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-r1-road-cycling-shoe/ these on the other hand get great reviews.

+1 - got these and they're great
  • Is there anywhere national that stocks these to try them?
  • I'd certainly recommend Shimano R087's just about the cheapest shoe with a ratchet closure as well as velcro so your foot isn't moving up and down in the shoe. I got mine new for just over £60.
    SPD pedals - I went with cheap R540's and they're great. Not much heavier than Ultegra pedals and are perfect for us beginners!
    And yes I fell off on the first ride at a T-Junction, but not since!
    Good luck and enjoy
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!