Breathable, windproof, fair-priced jacket?

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I'm back on a road bike again (after a thief-induced gap) and am doing some longish rides at the weekend 40-50 miles.

I don't want to wear my fluorescent commuting jacket as 1) it's fluorescent and 2) I sweat loads in it.

Can anyone recommend anything that won't cost me a bomb? Ta muchly!

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    edited January 2012
    Can only talk about jackets I've owned..

I have a Gore Phantom II - probably not as sleek or as warm as my cheaper Rogelli seamless softshell, but much more flexible and breathable. If I could only have one windproof, it would be the Gore.

The flexability of zip off arms is great when the weather is so changeable. Probably by best winter clothing purchase, excluding my merino PX base/jerseys.
    Simon
  • I bought a Funkier softshell £60, can't fault it so far & kept me dry in what I have been caught out in so far, toasty warm too
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    +1 for the Gore phantom, or Gore jackets full stop.

I believe that there are other versions which are cheaper, which don't have the zip off sleeves.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Lusso Windtex - windproof, breathable, fair price - so it should tick all your boxes.
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    +1 for a windtex jacket / jersey. I have giordana one and keeps me warm and breathes well.
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Just thought, what sort of jacket are you looking for ? Softshell or waterproof ?

Have a look at the dhb range on Wiggle, their kit gets excellent reviews and is very well priced.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • El Selb
    El Selb Posts: 137
    Just looking for windproof (soft-shell) really, something I can ride in for 40-50 miles on a coldish day (with a couple of base layers) and not sweat loads.

A bit concerned I'd get a bit too hot/sweaty in both the lusso windtex and the funkier though? Although the Gore is probably a bit out of my price range..

Anyone know anything about the Endura Windchill
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Wiggle have a decent reduction on the Gore Phantom (though it was 40% off 3 weeks ago when I got mine....)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... so-jacket/

Only been out in it a few times, but so far it's been faultless.
  • I've just come back from a Decathlon store, their in-house stuff B-twin seemed good kit and very very good prices. They dont have many stores but do have a good online presence.

I have 2 waterproof/breathable outers. One was £175, red, gorgeous. However, I started doing more commuting and wanted /needed a flouro one, didnt have the same kind of budget plumped for a good basic £75 one (RRP) - which I couldn't quite afford and the LBS knocked down to £55 for me.

The £55 is every bit as good as the £175 one in performance terms, but the costlier one has better zips & seams & finish. They are both Montane (brand name) jackets. The fabric is the same too "Entrant DT". The difference is the pockets, finish, piping, comfort soft collar on the costly one, and other little comfort features.

So I wear the cheapo one almost every ride now and the expensive one kinda stays in.

The ride performance of both is excellent re windproof, waterproof and breathable.

My husband has Gore stuff and if you ahve the money, get one, as they are excellently well made and high perfomance.
  • cryocon
    cryocon Posts: 46
    El Selb wrote:
    Just looking for windproof (soft-shell) really, something I can ride in for 40-50 miles on a coldish day (with a couple of base layers) and not sweat loads.

A bit concerned I'd get a bit too hot/sweaty in both the lusso windtex and the funkier though? Although the Gore is probably a bit out of my price range..

Anyone know anything about the Endura Windchill

I got an Endura Windchill jacket just before Christmas and to be honest it's too warm to use at the moment. There was one occasion where it was 0degC and snowing and i had l-s base layer s-s jersey and Windchill jacket and was about right. My arms keep getting too warm and then sweat which in turn makes them cold later on in the ride. I've now just bought a Windchill Gilet too, but not used it yet. I'd probably only wear the jacket when it's below 5degC and with just a base layer underneath.
  • http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=233

has worked ok for me since I got it more than a year ago - if it's not too cold, you just don't have much (or anything) on underneath
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I have one of these:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... pper-31080
    Does the job really well, very breathable and windproof but not exactly waterproof. They always seem to be available somewhere for £40-50.
  • jonni3
    jonni3 Posts: 57
    I have one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-soft-shell-jacket/, so far it's been superb at keeping the wind at bay, fairly priced as well .....
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    El Selb wrote:
    A bit concerned I'd get a bit too hot/sweaty in both the lusso windtex and the funkier though?

that's a strange thing to say - do you understand the concept of windproof/breathable...??