meta 6 rear maxle stiffness (peace of mind needed)

tugger
tugger Posts: 122
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello fellow bike people.

I have recently bought a 2010 commencal meta 6. "Hooray!" I thought when it arrive in its green aluminium and carbon splendour and double hooray when with it a rear maxle conversion kit arrived with it (double hooray because this was an upgrade i was going to make anyway, so double hooray!)

This is my first dabble with a rear maxle... in fact any maxle...

So I proceed to excitedly screw in the rear dropouts and the eyelets on the non drive side don't seem to line up.

"Strange" I think to myself...

Anyway as they dont line up by a mil or so I decide Ill file the dropout (around the edge not the flat side) till it fits flush, and so it does, so I think hooray, happiness is back in my tiny little life...

I put the maxle in and it reaches its destination fine but only screws into the other side half a turn before becoming too stiff to move... (bad i think)

With some grease it does go in but I do feel as if I am forcing it slightly to do so. Its like the rear end is a bit too wide, only slightly...

Is this normal?
Should I worry?
Should I just forget it and run it anyway cos at least it goes in so it must be ok...

Thoughts bike people... thoughts...

Anyone had a similar experience here?

Merlin are sending me some replacement dropouts so that might ease the trouble
All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like you may have a bent rear end.

Filling parts should not be needed on a new frame. ( other than having to remove some paint).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tugger
    not the first response i was looking for!

Next!
    All about the aggregation of marginal gains (or marginal losses, depending on who you are!!)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah, something sounds amiss there... my old patriot with a maxle rear end could be a tad stiff, but nothing like what you're describing. You shouldn't have had to file anything either...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • tugger
    best of five... (!)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Well if you want differing views post up some pictures and we can tell you it is farked up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tugger
    Can't seem to do that...

So the maxle should screw in without any strain at all is what you are telling me right...

Pain!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Pretty much yeah... you sure one of the threads isn't crossed/damaged?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Cookied
    Cookied Posts: 16
    As a comparison point - I've got a Meta6 and have a straight bolt through at the rear instead of the Maxle option. The bold fits through both dropouts and the hub without any force having to be applied which backs up previous comments about the rear end being slightly out of shape.
  • Should screw in as simpleand easy as a maxle fork skewer.... or any other 20mm fork skewer..
  • tugger
    cheers guys