cost of fork/headset install?

barty81
barty81 Posts: 145
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Hi, could someone tell me what i would be expected to pay at a bike shop to get these done on my bike?
- Remove old headset and replace with new one
- Remove old forks with new.cut the steerer,install star nut and crown race
really not got a clue,so some idea what i should expect to pay would be great.
Giant xtc
Canyon nerve am 7

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Phone your LBS and ask?!

Not a lot though usually, £10-£20?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Normally included in the purchase price so ask.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    my LBS charges £30 just for fitting forks
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • barty81
    chez_m356 wrote:
    :shock: that seems alot!!
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    barty81 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    :shock: that seems alot!!
    it may be, they aren't the cheapest chain around
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    I have also just paid 30 quid to have new forks fitted and steerer cut. Another shop said would do it for 20 but wouldn't insure work to buy me new forks if they cut the steerer wrong! So went for the 30 quid one who would get me a new fork if they bodged the job!
    Worth the extra for piece of mind!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or consider doing it yourself. It's not hard and good experience.
    All you really need is a V brake pad to install the star nut, a hacksaw, and a rubber mallet (or hammer and a bit of wood) to install the headset.
    Old headset can be removed with a screwdriver and the proverbial hammer.

Or you can get a tool off Ebay to fit the headset for a fiver.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • amclinden
    amclinden Posts: 101
    I managed to install it my self last week... I'm 14 ;)
    Swveeeet¡¡¡
  • ilovedirt
    My LBS swapped headsets over from one frame to another for me a while ago, as i don't have a press, they charged me about a tenner IIRC. I also took a fork in to them the other day, and they cut the steerer and fitted the star nut for free (i'd have done it myself, but i don't have many tools here at uni). Cracking service! Evolution bikes in Bangor, just so you know.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would charge £30.

Often prices seem a lot because a shop will assume that you are just going to bring the whole bike in. So remove wheel, brake, fork, headset, then all back on and set up.

If you just bring the frame in with fork attached I'd charge less. Or just the frame, less still.
  • barty81
    Convinced me,Gonna give it a go myself.just ordered a headset press off ebay for £7,already got some pipe cutters.fingers crossed i dont f**k it up!!!
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • cooldad
    Measure twice, cut once.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Chances are you won't have to cut the steerer. Try first and see how it fits and pad out with spacers, see what the reach and height is right. Only cut when you're sure there's no other option as once cut it's cut, and it also reduces resale potential.

Fork & headset fitting is easy though but if buying forks from an LBS I'd certainly push for free fitting on the basis of fit it or no deal. They'll want the sale (or are idiots, given the need to compete with online).

Though headset removal involves some guts to really whack the thing out, and be prepared for dents in the walls as the headset flies across the room (aim away from the TV!). Headset removal tool handy, but it's basically a bit of pipe with cuts in it and rubber mallet to whack it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    deadkenny wrote:
    Chances are you won't have to cut the steerer. Try first and see how it fits and pad out with spacers, see what the reach and height is right. Only cut when you're sure there's no other option as once cut it's cut, and it also reduces resale potential.

Fork & headset fitting is easy though but if buying forks from an LBS I'd certainly push for free fitting on the basis of fit it or no deal. They'll want the sale (or are idiots, given the need to compete with online).
    Never fitted a new fork that as not needed the steerer cut.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    nicklouse wrote:
    Forks seemed long on my c456 and was thinking of cutting them, but realised they'd be too way too low for me. c456 basically just has a really low head tube. Same forks on the GT were perfect fit and no need to cut. They've been standard length all along. Pretty sure the forks on the Nomad are likewise uncut and perfect fit but I didn't fit them.
  • barty81
    Thanks for the advice guys. will brave this one out!!
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Standard length is 260-270mm
  • ilovedirt
    nicklouse wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

Ditto, I tend to only ever run a max of 10mm of spacers under the stem, obviously most steerers are going to come overly long.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    As said, it's more about optimum height of the bars for a comfortable ride position. Just don't cut short to make it look neat until you're happy about it's the right height.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I personally wouldn't run more than 30mm of spacers under the stem and maybe 10-20mm on top.
    Another shop said would do it for 20 but wouldn't insure work to buy me new forks if they cut the steerer wrong!
    LOL that really inspires confidence.
  • welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    Thats what I thought so I paid a bit extra for piece of mind!
    Especially when the forks were RS SID RLT's. wouldnt have been cheap to replace!
  • i just paid £10 at my LBS to have headset pressed in and steerer cut down - oh and some triple chocolate extreme foxes cookies :mrgreen:
    live, ride, survive

2012 Nightrod Special Race tuned
    Cotic Bfe
    SYLO
  • Thread on a different forum with homemade headset tools.

Have had limited success with my remover made from 22mm copper pipe, (got it out but 'tool' somewhat deformed in the process) will be trying the filed down washer next - seems foolproof :lol:

Headset press with washers and threaded bar simple as you like!

http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/mkiii-homemade-headset-tools-130069.html
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Plastic push fit pipe works better than copper. It seems to transfer the hammering better.
  • barty81
    Gonna have a go at installing the star nut with the hammer/screwdriver technique or is there a better diy way for doing this?
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • cooldad
    barty81 wrote:
    Gonna have a go at installing the star nut with the hammer/screwdriver technique or is there a better diy way for doing this?

Yes get a (longish) V brake pad, screw it into the starnut, then you can hold the end while you tap it in, and if it starts going a bit skew you can turn the pad to straighten it up.
    If you don't have a pad you can use a bolt but it's not as controllable
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • barty81
    Cheers bud,i'll give it a go
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7
  • Anonymous
    Need to get the old headset out also. Screwdriver will do with some care.

It can also cost you a new frame if you mess it up :D
  • barty81
    deadkenny wrote:
    Need to get the old headset out also. Screwdriver will do with some care.

It can also cost you a new frame if you mess it up :D
    :shock:
    Giant xtc
    Canyon nerve am 7