Tinkering and Upgrading

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited January 2012 in MTB general
So I've been looking at tinkering with the setup on my Hardrock just to make it feel a bit comfier. Things like a longer stem and wider bars, maybe a better saddle etc. The question is, do I bargain buy to tweak my rather basic Hardrock, or do I spend a bit more to upgrade the components on my Trance, and demote the stock bars, stem etc from that bike onto my Hardrock?

It would be cheaper to just tinker with cheap bits on the hardrock, but if I upgrade the Trance then I am technically improving two bikes for my money :twisted:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends what is uncomfortable really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • scarbs85
    scarbs85 Posts: 170
    Nothing too much in truth, it mostly just feels a bit cramped on the hardrock now. It makes my hands ache a bit, and the bars feel narrow and close. I measured up and the stem is 20mm shorter and bars are 40mm narrower than the Trance. Basically just giving myself a bit more room.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    There are some good secondhand parts avaliable. I'v got a set of Nukeproof Warhead bars and a a set of Raceface Atlas bars, bot for less that £20 delivered. Yes there are some marks on them but this will happen with normal riding.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    definitely change the bars and stem, i put a pair of 680mm on mine, makes a world of difference, anything smaller than that now just feels wrong
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Upgrades on the Trance, move components down onto a nice new frame together with bits off the Hardrock, thus new bike if you want a change from the Hardrock.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    I did the latter, upgrading my spesh fsr and moving parts over to my 8 year old Scott HT. I've changed crankset, wheels, bar and stem so far. The result was both bikes feeling much better as well as both losing a little weight. The only problem I have now is deciding which bike to take out on rides! The HT feels so much easier uphill but the full sus is much faster downhill :)