Pocket money for kids

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
My seven year old needs structured pocket money now to teach saving habits (and to work out the post Christmas revelation that you can't have something just because Daddy has credit cards)

How do you structure it with your kids? What is a reasonable amount these days?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Mine started with just a pound a week when they were about 4 & 8 respectively. Now (9 and 13), they get £15 on the first Saturday of each month. This, I reckon, enables them to learn both saving for larger items, as well as making money last until they next get paid, rather than blowing it all as soon as they get it.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    When mine were aged 6 & 9 a third of their age seemed easy. Very bad at remembering to pay it and they only ever ask if they've seen something they want. That causes mild panic as I try to remember when they were last paid and check with the EPO if she's paid them.
    It's a nightmare. Send them to work as chimney sweeps. That'll teach them the value of stuff and you won't have to remember if you've paid them.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Mine get £2 per year of their age each month - so £30 and £24 per month as 15 and 12 year olds. They only get it if their rooms are kept tidy and they help out with the odd job if I need it (rarely). They get paid on the 15th of the month, same as I do, so they know when to expect it, and I don't forget :oops:
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    When I were a lad we were down t'pit at four years old - taught us proper values
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    When I were a lad we were down t'pit at four years old - taught us proper values
    problem is Maggie shut all the pits and there are a lack of chimneys to sweep these days
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • My wood burning stove liner needs sweeping this November - it's a while off like, but still.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3