London Bike Show

milko9000
milko9000 Posts: 533
edited January 2012 in MTB general
I see our hosts have a stand.
http://www.thelondonbikeshow.co.uk/

Has anyone been before and did you think it was any good? My mate keeps asking me to go but I have visions of it being just a big crowded shop really. Any good discounting go on? I've got a bike I'm happy with so not really looking to demo anything but it doesn't look like you can even do that.

Comments

• Looks quite good to me, you go there to see the new products anyways.
  • Sammiye
    Sammiye Posts: 61
    Going next sunday. After a few accessories and add ons but not really there to shop. Only recently got into bikes so will be good to see some shiny new gear! Going to check out the boat show too.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I went last year, with the outdoors show and boat show it was a good day out.

The bike show is bigger than last year, it's mainly for looking at type of show, a few good odds and sods discounts though.

I spent most of my time around the boats, lots of fascinating gadgets to keep a small boy happy. :D

I'll probably go on Friday if time permits.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Might pop down if I have the time. Having said that I might not as it'll make me miss bikes again and I'll be in a bad mood for a week afterwards.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If somebody wants to flog me something buggered if I'll pay £16 for the privilege.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • milko9000
    Yeah, that's kinda my fear. I can look around a bike shop anytime, and I've seen the Animal Bike Tour somewhere else before. Admittedly it's a big display compared to yer average Evans, but I'm not really looking for anything in particular so it'd just be to mooch about seeing some bling by the sound of things. Might just go ride instead.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    If somebody wants to flog me until I'm buggered, I'll pay £16 for the privilege.
    Typo corrected for you!

If I'm just buying, these make a lot more sense!
    http://www.cycle-promotions.co.uk/venues.html

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    If somebody wants to flog me until I'm buggered, I'll pay £16 for the privilege.
    Typo corrected for you!
    Still having those fantasies? I thought the new medication was working.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Milko, I'll be working the floor at the show. Say hello if you see me.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    benpinnick wrote:
    I'll be working the floor at the show.
    Do you have speshul training to work a floor? Maybe they'll teach you to work a window next.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    last year there was a lot to look at but not enough to buy, only money that was spent was at superstar and in the outdoor show. i know it bigger this year but i dont need anything so it would be a waste of time.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'll be there on Thursday - i'm at the Boat Show with work but will escape for a look around (sshhhhh, don't tell anyone :lol: ). Quite looking forward to it really, it'll make a nice change from all the boats!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • wilbo83
    wilbo83 Posts: 90
    I am going on the saturday, hoping there will be some goodies to buy. Looking forward to the boat show too.
  • Meatfox
    Meatfox Posts: 155
    I went last year and while some parts were good (the jump/trials sessions) overall it was fairly below par.

on the plus side you get access to the boat show which was cool. saw bob geldoff there and also some topless chick though the side window of one of the big cruiser boats, with her tits on display.
    now that's bargaining power...
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    cooldad wrote:
    Typo corrected for you!

If I'm just buying, these make a lot more sense!
    http://www.cycle-promotions.co.uk/venues.html

Simon

Agreed . Some good bargains to be had. I went to the one in Maidstone last year.
  • lasty
    lasty Posts: 218
    Went last year but won`t be busting a gut to go this time . Trials show was `interesting` , lots of trick bling but on the whole as the o.p thought , a very busy bike/boat/outdoor shop .
    No bargains but paid an extra £7 to hear Riaan Manser talk about his epic cycle adventure - 2 + years around the coast of Africa . THAT ...... alone was worth the £16 entry fee !
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hmmmmm :?

Well, popped into the bike show yesterday and I wasn't that impressed to be honest. I would have been very miffed if I had spent my £20 purely to see this. Having said that, I spoke to some interesting people, saw some nice kit and it made a welcome relief from working, so I can't really complain :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • milko9000
    yeah, I'm gonna go for a ride instead. Thanks for the opinions everyone, saved me a few quid! Also I have a burning lust for a boat and no money to get one so probably another good reason not to go.
  • I still think it's cool to go to shows like that, it's like car shows and that as well. Even if nothing is up for sale, its better than sitting at home, and you get to see cool stuff!
  • milko9000
    Not gonna sit at home though, gonna ride my bike!
  • hambo
    hambo Posts: 49
    I too was thinking of going but taking into consideration the price of ticket and train travel to get there, and no discounted bikes or equipment. Rather save myself £25 and spend it online on whatever sales still exist :wink:
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Went today. Overall pretty disappointing. Very little to buy. Some distributor stands had tons of stock on display but nothing for sale. Little in the way of discounts. There is a reason why four shows are on the same ticket - none of them are worth going to on their own.

Best bit was chatting to the guys on the On One stand who let me take their prototype fat bike for a spin round the food hall!

The Animal Bike tour was pretty cool as well.

Sadly, I don't think I would bother again.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • Jedi
    Jedi Posts: 827
    it was my favourite bike show for couple of years. wayyyyy better than this years nec cycleshow
  • benpinnick
    +1. I'm working but I think this year is much better than last. Good stands and some decent bargains if few and far between. Not as good as the old NEC show, but worth it when you think what does £20 buy by comparison.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    In Rhyl, a night with Sheepsteeth's mum.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Including fish and chips, AND a bacon sarnie for breakfast.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    Oh, and I should point out, if a distro has more than 1 on display, it's probably for sale, just ask ;) I myself bought my daughter a kiddie moto in a charity auction. Both cool and philanthropic in a single purchase. Happy days.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andymc06
    andymc06 Posts: 245
    Ben. We did ask. Not for sale. Please go to our website was the answer despite a huge amount on display. Like I said disappointing.
    If at first you don't succeed, spend some more money on kit!

Giant Trance X3 2011
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    Anybody know if there was anyone from Ragley at the show? Would be nice to know some more info about there new full sus bikes.
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    know some more info about there new full sus bikes.
    Apparently delayed till at least the end of this year, possibly even 2013
    Nicolai CC