Do you carry spare chain links?

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Is it worth carrying a couple of spare chain links and a small compact chain tool in your saddle bag :?:

I've started doing some longer day rides with local club and planning on doing a few sportives/charity rides with initial aim for a 100 miler during the summer. On the half dozen or so longer rides (40mile plus) there's only been one issue when someone's mech hanger snapped, and fortunately another person had a chain tool. So mech was removed and chain length altered to a fixie to get home, which worked fine 8)

I've seen you can get spare chain links, such as http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-9-speed-chain-links/

I always carry some cash, a card and mobile with me, along with spare tubes (x2) puncture kit, pump, multi tool and allen key multi tool, but no chain tool or spare links.

So do you carry chain tool and spare links, and have you ever had to use them, and are they worth getting :?:

Thanks

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I carry them on the audax bike and tandem (snapping a timing chain on a tandem is not a good thing!).

I've used them on the tandem (me and the other half cycled to a friend's barbecue and I spent the afternoon giving my friend's rides around the block on the back of the tandem - it was all good until one friend got her jeans caught in the timing chain and popped a link!).

Touch wood, never on the audax bike - though I nearly gave one away to a chap at the bottom of the Devil's Staircase on the Elenith 300 last year - ~I offered it to him, but as he inspected his chain, he found he'd need to fix up half a dozen snapped links!

They weigh nothing, so no harm in having them - obviously you need to carry the right flavour for you (9 or 10 speed or whatever).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,169
    on holiday about 3 years ago i snapped two chains in rapid succession, on two bikes that i'd borrowed, both brand new, both seemingly built without much care

this is the only time i've needed a chain tool out on the road, and i didn't have one, luckily someone drove over with one he borrowed from a friend

so now i carry a couple of kmc missing links, and my multitool has a chain tool
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I always carry a spare KMC link because they are so cheap and weigh nothing. Last year I had a chain come apart after the KMC link on it failed and disappeared (I think it must have been chain suck or something that made it come apart). The spare link worked great and I was back on the bike in a couple of minutes...given that I was in the middle of Exmoor at the time I might still be there now if I had nothing with me.

I also carry a mini Chain brute as I figure that a snapped chain will still need a tidy up before using a spare link or joining with the tool if I could be bothered. The Park mini brutes work really well, cost less than £20 and fit nicely into the wedgie along with the spare link, C02 (pump on frame), levers, tube, tyre boot, sticky patches and cable ties. Another spare tube and a multitool in the back pocket. I accept that I am an overly cautious chap but I do a lot of solo cycling in remote places like the Cotswolds, Brecons and Exmoor where phones often don't work, etc.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    I carry a complete chain! My multitool has a chain tool. I have snapped 2 chains ever but I'd rather be prepared. I also carry 3 tubes (minimum) and a repair kit for fairy visits.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    For me, there is a limit on what I'm prepared to carry and a spare chain or tire are too much. As all of my longer rides are with a group at least there is other support and equipment available, and I reckon between us we could cater for most repairs to at least be able to limp home.

I currently have 2 multi tools, a gerber multi plier type and an allen key set, so think I'll get a good all in one bike tool with a chain tool included, and the KMC spare link set too, as I have the space. Tire boot is probably a good idea too along with a few cable ties too.

Thanks for replies :)
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Always carry a chain tool (as part of a multi-tool). I usually carry a couple of powerlinks as well but the last and only time my chain has failed was the powerlink throwing itself to bits. Good old fashioned chain repair got me home. Carrying powerlinks or spare links is useful but in the majority of cases you can take a couple of bust links out and do a repair and let the rear mech adjust to the slightly shorter chain. So whilst links are handy a tool is essential.

D :D
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I carry a couple of powerlinks and have a chain tool on my multitool, but to be honest haven't needed them yet (touch wood !!)

The only time I've needed them was years ago when I crashed my mtb and bent the chain. But in that situation, I just shortened the chain and used the existing powerlink.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    This is a more common problem for MTBers I think, and as I am one, it seems only natural to carry one. Unscrew the chain tool on your multi tool a little and put loop the links onto the "spike" and retighten it again so that they can't fall off. You ll never even notice you ve got them!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    I carry a spair link and mulit tool.
    I have needed one a couple of times now.
    When I have done sportives you always see people with snaped chains so might as well carry one. also I have 2 inner tubes and a pack of tyre boots which also got me home when the side wall of a tyre got damaged.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ToeKnee wrote:
    I carry a complete chain! My multitool has a chain tool. I have snapped 2 chains ever but I'd rather be prepared. I also carry 3 tubes (minimum) and a repair kit for fairy visits.

What possible circumstance could happen that you'd require an entire replacement chain?! The only thing I can think of is Al Qaida putting a bomb to your chain and then you'd need a new frame and rear wheel as well. :lol:

3 tubes and the repair kit seems very excessive too unless maybe MTBing.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    No

(Won't actually let me type just 'No' as "Your message contains 2 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 3")
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Rolf F wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:

What possible circumstance could happen that you'd require an entire replacement chain?! The only thing I can think of is Al Qaida putting a bomb to your chain and then you'd need a new frame and rear wheel as well. :lol:

3 tubes and the repair kit seems very excessive too unless maybe MTBing.
    This is my commute bike (CX) and I want to ensure I get to/from work with little fuss. Stopping for repairs makes me cold, irritable and possibly late for work - making any repair stops short is important to me. I have (rarely) used 3 tubes in one trip and walking home/work would be a nightmare.

I guess a couple of pairs of disposable gloves, and a chunk of old tyre, is over the top too?

On the up side, if you're on my commute route, I'm a good source for repairs.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    I wish I had on Sunday. 4 miles into a ride and had to turn back through want of a chain link and tools.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    Had to use a spair mountain bike last night so did not have all my usal kit.
    Punture sorrted :)
    broken chain, phone call needed :( and ride in van needed :(
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ToeKnee wrote:
    I guess a couple of pairs of disposable gloves, and a chunk of old tyre, is over the top too?

On the up side, if you're on my commute route, I'm a good source for repairs.

Lol! The 3 tubes might make sense as an alternative to the repair kit but it does seem a bit pessimistic!

As for the chain - if you have a chain tool, surely all you really need for the very worst scenario is a short length of chain. Obviously the quick link could cost you a gear or two due to a marginally shortened chain but that's still unlikely to be a useable gear you are losing. I just think you should take a walk on the wild side and take a chance just carrying half a dozen chainlinks and leaving the rest at home. You'll be fine. :lol:

The gloves and tyre chunk seem emminently sensible!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Nope, I'm living life on the edge.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • yes get the links, KMC are great, plus a chain tool - cause if you don't and your chain goes then.... ride over!

Speaking from experience sadly, nothing more deflating than a premature end to a ride.

I think what happens with some is when they have a problem they buy the gear to fix it (which I agree with), so its puncture kit, co2 kit, multitool, phone, tube(s), tyre levers, cuddly toy(!). Then your 8kg superlight bike starts getting heavier.... but what are you to do.. rock and hard place really, except ride in a group and split the tools.
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    I always carry two kmc missing links and chain tool is part of multi-tool..

Had a rear mech shear off once... glad I was able to shorten the chain and make bike a single speed.. ( I was 20 miles from our one family car.)

Dave.