Wheels+Tyre upgrade or foolishness?

Artful_Codger
Artful_Codger Posts: 24
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
My first post here, and on a common topic, I'm afraid. I have a road bike since August, my first one. I have been mountain biking for longer, and using spinning bikes for even longer (got into it as I phased out running after problems with tendonitis). I'm 44, reasonably fit generally, but still on the learning curve on the road. I ride by myself at the moment, about 35-75 miles loops around Notts and Derbyshire, once a week. I'm on a stationary bike at home or in the gym (or out on my MTB) more often than that. My goal with the road bike is to be able to do some sportives. I like going at a good pace (for my ability), but I'm not interested in racing.

My bike is a Specialized Allez Elite 2011 with 9-speed Tiagra compact (12-27, 34-50). The wheels are Mavic CXP22 with Specialized All Condition tyres (I inflate to about 8 bar). The wheels seem solid and I haven't had any punctures (yet), which is great as I'm mostly out on my own. I get the feeling that the bike isn't as easy-rolling as it could be, even with a sub-standard engine, and wonder whether the wheels and/or tyres could be improved without losing longevity and puncture resistance. I don't want to upgrade unless I can expect to clearly feel a difference in the bike's responsiveness, whether spinning up, or going uphill. Also, I don't want fragile race stuff that'll need regular tinkering or replacement. Please don't ask me to upgrade the whole bike in a few months - I won't do that some some time, if ever.

I hope I've provided enough info to get some advice on wheels+tyres for my situation. I've read posts here and elsewhere for several weeks about fulcrum 5, ksyrium, pro-lite bracciano and planet x model b wheels and durano, GP4000s, fortezza and such tyres. Contexts vary so much that it's hard to know what applies to me. I would really appreciate any help.

Comments

• Planet x model B - wheel

Grand Prix 4 seasons - winter

Ultremo ZX - summer
  • I found a big improvement from changing tires alone....
  • I started a Thread a while ago called
    Why am I not faster on new bike ?
    about my Spesh Sectuer which has the same wheels and tyres as your bike and got loads and loads of good advice abotu tyres and wheels. You would have to wade through the rest but theres some good very specific stuff in there particularily about those tyres which are pretty much universally slated. I have kept them on though and intend to run them over the winter (to me they feel nice and solid in this weather) and then get ne wones in Spring - hoping budget will stretch to Vittoria Open Pave clinchers 24mm but from what I was told even a mid range from one of the decent brande will revolutionise my ride (and presumably yours as well!)
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Had the same wheels and tyres. Conti GP 4 seasons for Winter(25mm) and Conti 4000s (23mm) for rest of time. Big difference. If you can afford it wheels will make a big difference too. I grabbed a set of Hope with the open pro which are about 1/2 a kilo lighter and they spin so much better. Have the same 3 cross spoke pattern so should handle almost anything and don't require any special attention.