Need to replace my V-brake blocks...

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
on the commuter. The last lot were Ashima branded I think, were cheap (£4.99), useless in the wet and have worn out in under 2 months... recommendations? Wiggle have Koolstop Eagles at £9.99 and Shimano at £10.99, any good?
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Kool Stops are almost always good. I found the Clarks dual-compound ones to be pretty good too. Although I'd try CRC if I were you - they're doing the Eagles at 7.99.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Kool Stop Eagles IMHO are the best pads there is - got thousands of miles out of my last set, and work well in all conditions.
  • Thanks guys, Koolstop Eagles it is, from CRC :)
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I have not used Kool Stop, but can vouch for BBB and Shimano. Ashima, as noted, wear out a bit too quickly. Clarks dual compound I found they ate through my rims a bit too quickly.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Same recommendation for cantis? I'm coming to the conclusion that the rubbish wet performance on my CX is the OEM pads.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    SimonAH wrote:
    Same recommendation for cantis? I'm coming to the conclusion that the rubbish wet performance on my CX is the OEM pads.

Ooh yeah, same question from me : I need better canti pads for my Pompino - neither the Tektro pads that came with the bike nor the Avids I replaced them with have been brilliant. Are cartridge pads the way to go ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • SimonAH wrote:

Ooh yeah, same question from me : I need better canti pads for my Pompino - neither the Tektro pads that came with the bike nor the Avids I replaced them with have been brilliant. Are cartridge pads the way to go ?
    Used Avids before too, they were rubbish... seems that Koolstop have a good reputation and tho I've got v-brakes, there is a version of the Eagle 2 blocks for cantis...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I've got canti's on my Jake and I put Swiss Stop Green in the front and did notice a marked improvement. I put some cheaper cartridge brakes in the back (possibly Clarks or Avid) to see if they made much difference and they were certainly better than the original blocks but don't seem as good as the Swiss.
    I believe the theory is that the cartridge holder makes the whole thing stiffer. When the rears have worn out I'l lput Swiis Stop in all round.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    SimonAH wrote:

I run Koolstop dual compound inserts on Tektro CR720 cantis with my Pomp. No complaints at all.
  • medoramas
    medoramas Posts: 202
    I run Swissstop Green on the front and Koolstop Salmon on the rear. I used to use KS on both, but the front was so bloody noisy that every dog in 2 miles radius was awake after my braking at 6am... And when coming downhill I was really upset that I had to treat my ears with that horrendously loud squeal again. So I put some SS last week - simply amazing!

I went for a really wet & muddy MTB'king (is there any different in the UK?)on Saturday and I was really impressed with them. Big power and controlled braking even when crossing streams and cycling on wet grass.

I noticed that KS were lacking power in big rains. Maybe because they were almost worn out during the last rain like that.

But definitely I will never get any other blocks that KS or SS - I hate hearing how the pads scratch my rims in wet...
  • Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    This topic is relevant to my interests.
    I presently run Koolstop front and back but would like to try other brands.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Well, I've bought some of those Koolstop Tectonic triple-compound pads.
    My braking seems greatly improved.

(That's because it's dry...I haven't fitted the pads yet ;-) )
    Misguided Idealist
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}