Southern to Northern Ireland Ride/ Advice appreciated.

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited January 2012 in Tour & expedition
Planning the next one.

Southern Ireland to Northern Ireland, something like Cobh (Cork) to Portrush, via Waterford, Dublin, Belfast and sticking to coastal roads.

Got between a week and 10 days and would probably be credit card touring in B+Bs or Hostels.

The road map shows it on main routes of just shy of 400 miles, would think sticking to the coast probably adds at least another 100.

Anyone done it or similar, Any one got any ( Dont miss this advice) or know good cycle friendly hosteleries and B+Bs

or can think of a better South to North route.

Open to any experiences , suggestions or comments, Anyone got GPX file routes.

Thanks Tim

Comments

• magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    Tim

I'm currently reading a book 'Cycle Touring in Ireland' by Tom Cooper. He gives numerous routes throughout Ireland (north and south) ranging from 5-7 days to 30-60 days. The daily distances are in km and vary from 50km to 100km a day. I am using this book to adapt my daily rides to 100-120km each day. The book provides accommodation suggestions and places of interest.

THis NI website may be of use also: http://www.cycleni.com/

Hope this helps.
  • tim_wand
    magoo289, thanks a lot thats spot on what I was looking for.
  • Tim, I've toured Ireland, but stuck to the west coast as I was led to believe it was more scenic. I went west from Cork, then made a beeline up to Galway and then into Sligo. If you need any info, just say.

I used a bus a couple of times. They take bikes in the hold if there's room. I got a train east into Dublin.

It seemed anything but the smallest roads were pretty busy. Here's a write-up:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1 ... 6864&v=18f
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • tim_wand
    Cycladelic found your blog through a google site hit a couple of days ago. Have only so far read the Scotland/Ireland bit, All good stuff and very useful.

In the early 90's I did Galway to Cobh myself. Loved it every cliche about the friendliness of the people you could times by ten, Id just got out of the Army at the time and a mate had just graduated Uni, but after week one we binned the tent as people were calling ahead of us and getting us nights in their mates houses.

Inch beach was awesome, Nearly didnt get out of Ennis when Clare won the All Ireland Gaelic final (Too pissed and took hostage for 2 days)

In Dingle a bloke even gave us the keys to his bike shop as he was shutting up to mend a wheel and told us to join him in the bar when we where done.

So all in all looking to go back but this time want to go the other way, Cobh to Northern Ireland.