Trans women in sport

rideslikeagirl
rideslikeagirl Posts: 63
edited April 2012 in Women
Hiya! Ok, here we go, time to out myself... Couple of years back i did an enduro as part of a team - in the 'mens' category (wasn't my idea! :D) and really enjoyed it, had no chance of 'winning' - we just competed amongst ourselves and it was just great to be out riding for that long... However, part of my motivation was struggling with severe gender dysphoria and trying to 'play with the boys' in order to feel more like one of them. Didn't work obviously!

So fast forward a bit and the inevitable that i've been putting off happens. And blah blah, i'm so much happier, yada yada, but i've never stopped loving riding bikes and am thinking about doing a 12hr in a team again this summer... We'd be 'mixed' or alternatively boy-girl/boy girl duos.

I don't want to enter in the mens category cos i'm not a man. I just want to ride... I understand a lot of people might be a bit 'wait, what?!' but i'll have been on hormones for nearly 2 years by the summer, so the 'advantages' of testosterone will be non-existent cos i barely have any. I've never been particularly 'built' either so muscle tone isn't going to be an advantage either, certainly no more than any woman who trains and does exercise and is of a similar build (for the record, size 10-12 and around 5'10).

I don't want to get into a debate about trans people in general, so while i respect you may have opinions on the subject, please keep them on topic. For the record again, i (and most other trans women) consider the fact that i was assigned male at birth a mistake, and i don't have a 'mans body', i'm simply a woman with a birth deformity. I know its a bit of a melon twister but yeah, well imagine how i (and other like me!) feel... :D

So the question is, suppose you spotted me at an event and thought, hmm, she's a bit tall/butch/whatever (i'm actually lucky in that i'm quite naturally feminine so i 'pass' 90% of the time) - would you have a problem? Would you complain?

Like i say, i just want to ride my bike with others of the same motivation, i'm not out to cheat or con anybody or anything else...

Comments

• DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    I used to be the president of a prominent running club, a new member joined who was clearly a man but transgender. She used to run in races in the womens category, always coming very high up but would ease off towards the end so as not to be in the top 5.
    Other clubs wrote to us complaining (unsurprisingly).

It is a difficult issue. Personally I think if you don't fit into the category of the above ie top contender and don't influence the main race prizes it isn't an issue. Others will disagree.
    Peter
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Hiya! Ok, here we go, time to out myself... Couple of years back i did an enduro as part of a team - in the 'mens' category (wasn't my idea! :D) and really enjoyed it, had no chance of 'winning' - we just competed amongst ourselves and it was just great to be out riding for that long... However, part of my motivation was struggling with severe gender dysphoria and trying to 'play with the boys' in order to feel more like one of them. Didn't work obviously!

So fast forward a bit and the inevitable that i've been putting off happens. And blah blah, i'm so much happier, yada yada, but i've never stopped loving riding bikes and am thinking about doing a 12hr in a team again this summer... We'd be 'mixed' or alternatively boy-girl/boy girl duos.

I don't want to enter in the mens category cos i'm not a man. I just want to ride... I understand a lot of people might be a bit 'wait, what?!' but i'll have been on hormones for nearly 2 years by the summer, so the 'advantages' of testosterone will be non-existent cos i barely have any. I've never been particularly 'built' either so muscle tone isn't going to be an advantage either, certainly no more than any woman who trains and does exercise and is of a similar build (for the record, size 10-12 and around 5'10).

I don't want to get into a debate about trans people in general, so while i respect you may have opinions on the subject, please keep them on topic. For the record again, i (and most other trans women) consider the fact that i was assigned male at birth a mistake, and i don't have a 'mans body', i'm simply a woman with a birth deformity. I know its a bit of a melon twister but yeah, well imagine how i (and other like me!) feel... :D

So the question is, suppose you spotted me at an event and thought, hmm, she's a bit tall/butch/whatever (i'm actually lucky in that i'm quite naturally feminine so i 'pass' 90% of the time) - would you have a problem? Would you complain?

Like i say, i just want to ride my bike with others of the same motivation, i'm not out to cheat or con anybody or anything else...
    If you're living legally as a woman(officially changed name and all that) then there is nothing really to stop you from competing and winning female classes. They can't exactly test and ban you for taking testosterone. Are trans cyclists common?

I have friends from all walks of life including trans,wouldn't bother me at all tbh
  • I have no idea actually how prevalent cycling is as a hobby of trans people - i know of a few but then i know a bunch of cyclists and trans people..! :D Probably the same percentage as the cis (thats you lot ;D) population...
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I don't know much about the subject to be honest, but I do race and it certainly wouldn't bother me. Even if I did think something was going on, I personally wouldn't complain or make a fuss but perhaps that's just me!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Not sure about how organisers deal with trans folk in biking events – I know that in the Olympics that there have been controversies about athletes who were potentially intersex, don’t think it tends to be that strict in biking events! Renee Richards was allowed to compete professionally in tennis in the 1970s after transitioning from man to woman, so it’s not unheard of.

My attitude is that if a person identifies as a different gender to the one they were born with, especially to the degree that they’ve taken medicinal measures to ‘correct’ it, then they’re that gender. I wouldn’t kick up a fuss, and I’d look fairly dimly on anyone who did.

Allthegear on the Singletrack forum has transitioned, not sure if she’d have any more information? Not sure if she’s into racing though.
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    I say do what you want to do. It won't matter - only the sore losers will complain. Good luck!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    unfortunately there could always be people who just don't like it.

I am sure you will have done a lot of reading but if you have not come across Michelle Dumaresq have a google

http://www.100percentwoman.com/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yeah, its the controversy over michelle dumaresq that made me ask... :D Thanks for the responses, i might have a wander over the singletrack too! :)
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I wouldn't complain - different strokes for different folks and all that. I don't even think that you'd have that much of an advantage anyway, given that you're partway through treatment and you'll be having to deal with having less strength etc. It's a fine line - there could be girls who are tall, fit, and really bloody good at what they do, and have better body strength than you. I'm female and have PCOS, and have a way higher natural testosterone level than most girls. You wouldn't know it to look at me, but, could that give me an advantage? Who knows? Depends on the field. But no, I wouldn't complain - I'd be concentrating on how I could do better than I did the last time. So good luck with your events and everything else!
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • I don't want to enter in the mens category cos i'm not a man. I just want to ride... I understand a lot of people might be a bit 'wait, what?!' but i'll have been on hormones for nearly 2 years by the summer, so the 'advantages' of testosterone will be non-existent cos i barely have any. I've never been particularly 'built' either so muscle tone isn't going to be an advantage either, certainly no more than any woman who trains and does exercise and is of a similar build (for the record, size 10-12 and around 5'10).

Hi, a friend has pointed me over to here

I would say go for it and have fun. Like you I've been on hormones for just under two years and plan on doing Mountain Mayhem in a team this year as myself, only just started my RLE :)
    You could always contact the organiser if your concerned, but i think the main problem area is when there's something at stake or prize money is involved. There's a publication at uksport.gov which I think is aimed at the more serious side of sports

Louise
  • Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the replies, they're all helpful and encouraging! :)
  • Just had a survey pop up on this page, and the first question was "Are you male or female?" :roll:
  • Lisa101
    Lisa101 Posts: 33
    Do you use a mans saddle?.. could get u found out, get a womens one ;)
    Good luck
  • victoriac
    victoriac Posts: 56
    I think that there might be a small minority who have a problem - but there are always people looking for something to moan about. It wouldn't bother me at all and I can't see any of the guys who I ride with having a problem.
    Last year, we did were in a friendly rally that a female triathalete entered. She was incredibly fit and shot past most of the men like a bullet (I was somewhere near the back in a cloud of dust). She did win a prize even though she was just using it as a practise session - no one whinged, everyone was just really impressed with her ability and fitness.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,019
    Girls regularly beat me at races anyway so I wouln't be bothered.
    Advocate of disc brakes.