Do I pull the trigger on N+1? (please justify my spending!)

davis
davis Posts: 2,506
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Been offered a very good deal on a box-fresh 2010 Giant Anthem X2. Been meaning to get a decent MTB for a while, this one should fit, and I won't find a better deal.... It's 1200 GBP, but it really is in box condition (never had pedals on it, still got the stickers, and was only removed from the box for the photos)

Do I buy it? ta.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    What was cost new?

Way I justify my spending is just by asking myself will I use it. It's only a good deal imho if you either use it regularily or manage to sell it on for as much as you paid for it.
  • davis
    They're 2000 GBP new. The current models are lower spec than this one is.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I asked a similar question yesterday; £315 for a brand new Giant Bowery is too much of a bargain to miss surely? Thing is I already have a similar (but old and flaky) bike. Actually I'll give it a miss and spend the cash speccing up my road bike. Your cash though...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    It is a genuine bargain so the only question is - will you use it enough to justify it?

If so, pull the trigger! :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Go for it - great bike at a bargain price (I have a 2009 Anthem and I love it). I reckon you will find reasons to use it enough once you've tried it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • davis
    Yay. Thanks guys!
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Iv'e just spoken to my wife and she says it's ok, so go ahead.
    Graham. :D
  • davis
    :-)

Thanks -- has she got a sister? :-)
  • davis
    Wahey!

giant_anthem.jpg

xt_rd.jpg

First impressions, having just put a set of pedals on it and blasted up the road in ninja clothes and no lights are: Jesus it's fast. It's got a properly light feel to it.

Can't think what I'll be doing tomorrow :-)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Nice
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,116
    Nice bike :cool: And nippy like you said - I don't call mine 'The Whippet' for nothing :-)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    That does look nice. Never had a full susser, but can see the appeal.
  • davis
    Went out for a quick blat this morning. Wow. It's fast, light, and I'm really impressed with the way the rear shock keeps the back tyre down. It's my first full-susser, and I've only ever ridden BSO full-sussers or my knackered old hardtail. This is in a different league, and it'll take some getting used to.