Best bike dead

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
It's true my best bike is officially DEAD

Went to go out for a ride this morning and found my crank won't turn, so I've stripped the bike to the frame and tried without luck to remove the campag ultra torque bb.

Struck fast, completely seized and this bike plus groupset hasn't even done 500 miles WTF
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Plusgas and tender ministrations. She'll come out eventually. Spend more time drinking tea than you do wrestling with the bike
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • thats a (insert your favourite swear word of choice).

Got a good Local bike shop?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Condolences

So you're heading to New York and thinking of Cervelo's?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    itboffin wrote:
    It's true my best bike is officially DEAD

Went to go out for a ride this morning and found my crank won't turn, so I've stripped the bike to the frame and tried without luck to remove the campag ultra torque bb.

Struck fast, completely seized and this bike plus groupset hasn't even done 500 miles WTF

And what may I ask was one doing taking out ones best bike - its still winter ride your winter bike tut tut !
    See you break the natural order of things and bad things happen

Best go and see happy Barry at behind the bike shed :-)
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'll give it a decent burial for you, pick it.up tomorrow?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Crank not turning and BB being jammed in are two different things, no? Who built the bike? Because that's who'd I'd be going to see pdq.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    Greg66 wrote:
    Crank not turning and BB being jammed in are two different things, no? Who built the bike? Because that's who'd I'd be going to see pdq.

Happy Barry @ LBS installed the cranks and BB however as I suspected and was confirmed by another LBS i use the bearings have sealed themselves solid - Super Record and all, it sure pays to use the best.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Nik Cube
    good luck getting it sorted

maybe better to stay with that fishing tackle make in future ;-)
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • itboffin
    Nik Cube wrote:
    good luck getting it sorted

maybe better to stay with that fishing tackle make in future ;-)

It's strange because to be honest it never felt as smooth as any of my other shimano, fsa, campag or token BB's could it be possible it wasn't fitted correctly?

I built the rest of the bike myself but was frankly to afraid to do the BB due to my alarm trend of over tightening stuff even with a torque wrench.
  • Take it to Scherrit at the Bike Whisperer asap!!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours cycling and multisport training holidays in the Alps, Pyrenees and beyond

Follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/LeDomTours and on Facebook http://is.gd/ipG1Ei
  • itboffin
    Take it to Scherrit at the Bike Whisperer asap!!

Too far for me besides all 3 of my LBS are pretty good, something I did notice when trying to take the BB off it clearly says "SR 11 speed only" my groupo is 10 speed centaur :?

I bought that entire groupset direct from Ribble that was the BB supplied ?!? is there a chance it's the wrong size? if so why didn't the LBS that fitted the cranks say? :evil:
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Fairly sure you can't use 11Speed SR cups with 10 speed chainset, and that could be the issue. Surprises me the shop fitted it TBH.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • itboffin
    Fairly sure you can't use 11Speed SR cups with 10 speed chainset, and that could be the issue. Surprises me the shop fitted it TBH.

Yeh me too because the LBS is a pretty good one, very knowledgeable I wonder if the SR 11 is a different size to the record 10?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    There is a reason why you shouldn't use super record cups with 10th speed, something to do with it not being sealed or something. May explain what has gone wrong here. Still, lbs should be able to remove the suspect parts, no?
  • itboffin
    BigMat wrote:
    There is a reason why you shouldn't use super record cups with 10th speed, something to do with it not being sealed or something. May explain what has gone wrong here. Still, lbs should be able to remove the suspect parts, no?

i hope so :cry:
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,678
    edited January 2012
    The Super Record cups are indeed lacking a seal that is found in the other versions, since the SR cranks use ceramic bearings pressed onto the axles as opposed to the steel ones on all other models. The SR bearings are meant to use only oil instead of grease for lube, although I don't think that has much to do with it.

The seal is on the inside of the cups and is designed to keep water and cr@p which accumulates INSIDE your frame and BB from getting to the outboard bearings. Campag specifically say that if your frame BB shell doesn't have a drain hole to let the water out, you should have one drilled (by an expert, whatever that is..) to ensure the bearings aren't sitting in a permanent bath of water/crud.

There are plenty of experts who reckon there is absolutely no issue using the 11 speed cups with a 10 speed drive train at all, and also plenty who say the SR cups will work fine with non-SR cranks, provided you are aware of the seal issue as above, and are sure there is no accumulation of water in the BB shell.

That may explain why your BB is seized up, but doesn't help much getting it out...

EDIT: Which SR crankset do you have? The steel axle spindle version has a standard RH thread fixing bolt, but the titanium axle version has a LH thread for the fixing bolt.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,678
    Just a side note, if your cranks are the SR version and your comment they never seemed as smooth as other FSA or Shimano ones, then there was likely a problem at install. I'd guess the BB shell was not faced and prepped correctly. I've got a few Campag cranksets, including a Record 10sp and Super Record 11sp and the difference is very marked in how well the SR ones spin. With just the cranks installed (no chain), spin the Record one and they probably do half a dozen rotations at most before the bearing drag stops them. Do the same with the SR ceramic one and they spin triple that at least...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    That is pretty rubbish ITB. No specific knowledge of Campy SR or Centaur, but from what Wheelspinner says, it does sound like there is some sealing issue that has trapped water inside the BB. a handful of wet rides really shouldn't splash enough water on to the BB to seize it unless you rode it through a river. The jammed cranks could be from the same cause if the whole assembly has welded itself together - outside of bearing to BB shell, inside of bearing to itself - in a little sealed reservoir of dirty water. Hope you get it sorted.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Sorry to hear that. I'd be going to see the guy that installed it and ask for his opinion. There must be a way to save it.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Hammer it out, start again... Ideally find an lbs stupid enough to do it for you.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Out of curiosity, have you tried turning it off, then on again?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • itboffin
    Best bike is ALIVE

its_alive2.jpg
  • Only took 2 weeks... not much of a resurrection story that!
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Nik Cube
    what did you do to get it fixed ?
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Go on, then. How?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • itboffin
    I've been out of the country so couldnt get it fixed sooner

Replace the SR bottom bracket with record and fitted after market upgraded steel bearings
  • Nik Cube
    you did it or paid someone to do it for you ?
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Glad you got it sorted.

Can you expand on this?
    itboffin wrote:
    ....after market upgraded steel bearings
    The only non Campag bearings I know of that will fit UT are thuper expensive ceramic things.
  • itboffin
    One does not discuss matters fiscal :o

Picked up the bike from LBS and something felt wrong with the crank arms, sure enough there was lots of play, back to the shop :evil:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    itboffin wrote:
    One does not discuss matters fiscal :o

Picked up the bike from LBS and something felt wrong with the crank arms, sure enough there was lots of play, back to the shop :evil:

You need a new LBS.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/