Depressed... when will the wind stop

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I dont know about you guys, but round my way it has been severely windy for a couple of weeks now.

I have managed two rides in the last 3 weeks. There may have been the odd day when I could have ridden but for the most part the wind has thwarted me.

And I'm not talking about a bit of wind - I'm brave enough to ride in that - this is storm force stuff - we've lost several roof slates and trees are down :-( It's too windy even to go for a run (my "back up sport"!)

Comments

• fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Well I braved the elements yesterday.....it was blumin freezing about 5c add in the wind chill and brass monkeys come to mind. But it was good to get first ride in of the new year..now to keep it up!
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    A colleague got blown off his motorbike and died a couple of days ago round here, it's no fun.

Just try and focus on summer, it's my favourite day of the year.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Just up the dose and take two.

Setlers_Wind_Eze_Gel_Caps_20x.jpg
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I'm the same. It seems like for the past couple of months it's been blowing a gale and it's getting tedious. whatever happened to our changable weather. The past couple of years it seems the snow and this year wind has started in November and stayed for the rest of the winter.

I'm actually planning today to clean up the MTB and get it working again so I can do a bit of off-road in the shelter of the trees.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    That's what I did dug out the mtb but it wasn't much better...every time you go past a gap in the trees it was here comes another chilling blast :roll:
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 94
    I managed a quick 50 yesterday, though with the wind I was 30 minutes down on my usual time. Still, it was a good test of the thermal bib tights!
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    When the weather gets too bad, I just tell my wife that I am just off for a short ride which she likes best, as I never go any further than turbo in the garage. On one ride last winter I even managed to get a puncture on my front wheel! :oops:
  • Chin up Secteur. I don't live that far away (Sth Manchester) and have been able to get out a fair bit. It's not been too bad although there was a hairy moment involving hailstones, crosswind and a kamikaze pheasant that still makes me shudder.

Admittedly it's flatter and lower down here but you can always sling your machine in the back of the car and investigate north cheshire.

However I have only had the bike for three months and it's all new to me! Plus being a chunky monkey I probably don't get blown about quite as much as some of you road whippets.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Went for a 65miler today, and oh gosh! Fantastic speed for the first 20 miles, averaged a good 19mph, great as we weren't gunning it.. Then as soon as we got to where there were some hills, BOOM, headwind or strong sidewind up all the climbs, and all the way home too! Rubbish!
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Cheer up. The wind does have it's plus points.

windy.jpg
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Secteur wrote:
    for a couple of weeks now.

If only for 2 weeks up here. We have had strong winds for over 2 months now. Typically we have been lucky to get away with 8m/s winds otherwise they have been up at 12m/s and higher.

Nearly came off twice today when i cycled past entrances to fields.
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Ha, yeah, Scotland is yet another kettle of fish.

Not only was the wind present today (again), but it was bitingly cold. Could feel it through the thermal cap thing i wear under my helmet.

I also had to pedal downhill just to avoid coming to a stop lol

Advice would be, as long as its not dangerous, get out on it, set off into the wind when you are at you freshest, and try to plan the ride so you do the last stretch with it behind you.
  • Cheer up. The wind does have it's plus points.

windy.jpg

Aye. Better out, than in.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Nairnster wrote:
    Advice would be, as long as its not dangerous, get out on it, set off into the wind when you are at you freshest, and try to plan the ride so you do the last stretch with it behind you.

Haha, i live on the tip of a peninsula.. Wish i could ride out into the wind.. Always tailwind out, headwind in.
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Lol, well, thats just tough then ;-)
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    First day with low wind speeds today - HURRAH!!!

However, it was really misty ("over the tops" visibility was down to 30m i.e. 8 long white lines) so was soaked despite all the proper kit and the low visibility was scary, especially with cars WITH NO HEADLIGHTS suddenly appearing out of the mist just a few metres ahead - gulp!

Anyway, loved it - having time off makes me remember what a bloody brilliant sport we have.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Yes, same here really windy lately but none today. Haven't been able to get out though due to other commitments so I'm thinking of getting my gear on and going out now.
    Not keen on it in the dark but at the minute it's around 10 degrees C here. Shall I go for it?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport