Problems with cantilever toe-in - Cross Bike

jimcameron
jimcameron Posts: 199
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys,

I'm having real trouble adjusting my rear brake so that it will toe-in. At the moment it actually 'heels'-in (rear first). I bought a pair of those TRP inline adjust brake shoes, which has helped abit.

Could it be that the brake boss is actually welded onto the frame incorrectly. i.e. pointing towards the wheel? Is there something i could do about it?

Cheers
JIm

p.s. I'm sticking this up on the Road and MTB forums as i guess i could get help from folk on either forum

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would have thought that most brake blocks would ave enough adjustment to take up any tolerances.

But not knowing the fit o the block to the arm it is hard to say.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What brake arms, my daughters Shimano's can be toed in or out a massive amount on the shaped washers.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wakou
    wakou Posts: 165
    Have you tried sticking a 'shim' (piece of card, old cable tie of the right thickness) in, then tightening up?
    "I had righteous got my wheel backmost from a fettlin' at the LBS and was hunt transport to equitation it. As it was Refrigerated in the AM......"
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Pics please..
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • hi guys, thanks for the responses. The cantis i have on the bike right now are those Frogglegg Empellas. I'll stick up some pictures tonight.

any other canti's you could recommend that have more adjsutability?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/new-product-s ... rake-shoes
    Looks like a common problem - vice grips!!!
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • with the 'vice-grips' method what am i trying to bend? the empella brake arm or the actual brake boss arm attached to the frame?
    cheers
    jim
  • cooldad
    I wouldn't be trying to bend anything attached to the frame.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I'd have a go at a steel mech hanger tho :-)
  • cooldad
    I'd have a go at a steel mech hanger tho :-)
    Yeah but you won't be waggling that backwards and forwards everytime you change pads, just when your limited riding skills catch up with you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools