Press starting on Livestrong?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2012 in Pro race
http://www.outsideonline.com/magazine/O ... -2012.html

It was bound to happen at some point.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I've thought for a while that the Foundation was the best thing to have come from Lance's success, and in a way is, and should remain, separate from the doping controversy. How the Foundation spends it's money is a matter for no-one but the Foundation board; they do a lot of good, and arguably raising cancer awareness (how to avoid some forms, early discovery etc.) is as important as the actual treatment.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Jesus- what about the girl on the front of the magazine!! :D
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    smithy21 wrote:

I like your style!
    cartoon.jpg
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Doobz wrote:
    I like your style!

I like her outfit! :shock:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    iainf72 wrote:

You mean funding a private jet isn't part of it's charitable work?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I do sometimes wonder this actual awareness means. It also seems to be a bit too US based, or at least was a few years ago. Seeing as they get donations from all over the world they should be more global than they are.

Guess now we need to buy the magazine and find out exactly what they are saying.

Bet they are loving this over at the Asylum :D
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    smithy21 wrote:

Hope she doesn't sunbathe in that! Imagine her white bits!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Ah, Lolo Jones.

I hope she wins the Gold at the Olympics. As an ex-hurdler I felt her pain in Beijing. I did exactly the same at the U17 County Championships one year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You mean funding a private jet isn't part of it's charitable work?

The jet is for sale!

legal fees - agghghghghgh!

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 219294.htm
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Rigga wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

I am..... :wink:
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Rigga wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

I am..... :wink:

She looks like a man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    People forget the value of winning very quickly > especially when it's not a national sport.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I seem to remember him getting in hot water from some charity watchdog several years ago. They said too much money was spent on admin and fundraising instead of good causes, that you could give money to others who would put a greater share to good use. My personal view was that Livestrong often looked like a merchandising scheme for Nike.
  • It's been nothing more than a fancy wellness club for years.

Just take a look at the website – http://www.livestrong.com – it's in the healthy lifestyle business. Since the credit crunch it has been recycled as the business and advice portal for fitness and wellbeing.
  • iainf72
    It's been nothing more than a fancy wellness club for years.

Just take a look at the website – http://www.livestrong.com – it's in the healthy lifestyle business. Since the credit crunch it has been recycled as the business and advice portal for fitness and wellbeing.

Livestrong.com is not the charity. It's a for profit business. .org is the charity.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    iainf72 wrote:
    It's been nothing more than a fancy wellness club for years.

Livestrong.com is not the charity. It's a for profit business. .org is the charity.

Good job that he prevented the confusion by adding the org instead of com eh? Kind of like being asked if he has ever taken PED's and answering about the testing regime.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Fwiw - I don't think much of the livestrong spin bikes.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    cougie wrote:

They have these at my gym and for gym bikes they are decent ... Only complaint is that the saddle height is determined by notches rather than actual height ...
  • iainf72
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Interesting, but it does nt really reveal much......
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    cougie wrote:

My LeMond revolution however is the business :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Main_Armstrong_010412.jpg

Blates stuffed his shorts.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    I am slightly amazed that anyone could have ever thought that 'Livestrong' was anything other than a cynical attempt by Armstrong to build a public image that was 'positive' enough to deflect all the dirt that he knew would, sooner or later, be made public. Such 'reputation management' is standard fare amongst the powerful and corrupt, or even just the corrupted, as with the 'Charitable foundations' that Landis and Hamilton set up. The main beneficiary of Livestrong.org has always been Armstrong, what with it spending huge sums on legal fees and so forth in order to defend the 'Brand', meaning in effect Armstrong himself. Any good it has done is entirely due to all the volunteers who 'work' for the organisation for free, whilst the managers draw fat salaries.

'Reputation management' is just another form of propaganda, its practitioners swimming in the slime along with advertising executives and those who work in the financial sector bleeding the real, productive economy dry at every turn. As Bill Hicks put it:
    By the way if anyone here is in advertising or marketing... kill yourself.

No, no, no it's just a little thought. I'm just trying to plant seeds. Maybe one day, they'll take root - I don't know. You try, you do what you can.

Kill yourself.

Seriously though, if you are, do.

Aaah, no really, there's no rationalisation for what you do and you are Satan's little helpers.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Reminds me of this lot...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Looks like the Livestrong accolytes & Public Strategies interns have been busy 'astro-turfing' the comments pages on the article.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • It's been nothing more than a fancy wellness club for years.

It seems that if one ever has any health or exercise question, that is the website that comes up in a google search, if you have a question over an injury, vitamin, things like that. Maybe I will make a note to go to the next site referred to.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    cougie wrote:

They have these at my gym and for gym bikes they are decent ... Only complaint is that the saddle height is determined by notches rather than actual height ...

There's no adjust for reach on the bars either - so for me to ride out of the saddle - I have to hoik the bars up high.
    And with the saddle being so harsh - I like to do that pretty often.