Slight burn when peeing

Jordan93
Jordan93 Posts: 336
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Just rode my first proper road bike after riding mtb's for years, after I finished my ride and went to the toilet there was a slight burning sensation. I know it isnt an infection/STD so is my saddle to high/low or is the padding on my shorts no good anymore?

Comments

• n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    Were you dehydrated?
  • Jordan93
    I hadnt drank anything before cycling and only drank a small amount whilst out so possibly. I've rode the same route before on a mtb saddle with that little fluid and never had a problem.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Male or female?
  • Jordan93
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Male or female?
    Male. Pee is now clear and still burns slightly so surely not dehyrdration?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Ask on mediradar.com, not bikeradar!

Give NHS direct a call.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • wardieboy
    wardieboy Posts: 230
    Jordan93 wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Male or female?
    Male. Pee is now clear and still burns slightly so surely not dehyrdration?

Isn't that 'the aids'?
  • Jordan93
    I didnt want a diagnosis! Just wondered if anyone had experienced this and knew what might be causing it i.e saddle height
  • Tom Dean
    I just clicked your symptoms into WebMD. I'm afraid it didn't mention saddle height as a possible cause.
  • Jordan93
    Comedian. I have had no problems until I rode today so im sure its related.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Yes, dehydration! I suffered the same symptoms, just once, and it was bloody painful. It happened during another warm/hot Dartmoor Classic and I found out that a number of people suffered the same symptom and not taking on enough fluids and electrolytes was considered to be the problem. The following link from Livestrong explains.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/359267-electrolyte-imbalance-and-burning-urine/
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Jordan93
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Yes, dehydration! I suffered the same symptoms, just once, and it was bloody painful. It happened during another warm/hot Dartmoor Classic and I found out that a number of people suffered the same symptom and not taking on enough fluids and electrolytes was considered to be the problem. The following link from Livestrong explains.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/359267-electrolyte-imbalance-and-burning-urine/

Think you could be right as the pain is easing the more I drink(Nuun), fingers crossed it pisses off soon :lol:
  • Tom Dean
    Ginjafro wrote:

Have you actually read that article? It is about abnormal electrolyte loss caused by renal disorder. Which requires medical treatment. A bit more than just dehydration.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Ginjafro wrote:

Have you actually read that article? It is about abnormal electrolyte loss caused by renal disorder. Which requires medical treatment. A bit more than just dehydration.

Yes I did actually read the article, and it did not say the only cause is "renal disorder" requiring medical treatment. It also said this:

"When you suffer from dehydration, an electrolyte imbalance might occur. Dehydration occurs when your body does not have as much fluid as it should due to low fluid intake, vomiting, diarrhea and high fever. When you suffer from an electrolyte imbalance as a result of dehydration, your urine is highly concentrated. This can cause you to feel pain and burning when you urinate."

I also checked with my GP and he reassured me that my kidney function was fine and the burning, in his opinion, was due to dehydration, no lasting damage had been caused and just make sure that in future I must take on enough fluids. After years of cycling, racing and sportives that was the first and only time I have "suffered" a problem and I have no reason to be worried about my kindeys.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Tom Dean
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Ginjafro wrote:

Yes I did actually read the article, and it did not say the only cause is "renal disorder" requiring medical treatment. It also said this:

"When you suffer from dehydration, an electrolyte imbalance might occur. Dehydration occurs when your body does not have as much fluid as it should due to low fluid intake, vomiting, diarrhea and high fever. When you suffer from an electrolyte imbalance as a result of dehydration, your urine is highly concentrated. This can cause you to feel pain and burning when you urinate."

I also checked with my GP and he reassured me that my kidney function was fine and the burning, in his opinion, was due to dehydration, no lasting damage had been caused and just make sure that in future I must take on enough fluids. After years of cycling, racing and sportives that was the first and only time I have "suffered" a problem and I have no reason to be worried about my kindeys.

The article implies you should seek medical advice, which you obviously did when you had the same problem. Do you want the OP to accept YOUR GP's advice to YOU?