Best way to remove main pivot bearings

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Full suss, single pivot, I'm stripping down the bearings to see if the cause of some strange swingarm action is the bearings. The linkage bearings I might be able to get out using a socket set and tapping them out from behind - but you can't do that with the main bearing. So what's the approach?
Cheers.

Comments

• bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    The bearings are in the frame and not the swingarm so thiswon't work...
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    won't a bearing puller work?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the bike is a?

There more than one way that they need o be removed.

Some need 10 Ton presses some just need some screws slackening off.

Have a guess as that is ll we will be doing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok so ive had the same problem and searched the whole interweb for answers. As this is one of the first threads google picked up I thought id write a little tutorial in here.

So to remove Canyon Torque rear end firstly split the chain to get it out the way. There are 2 pivots on the rear of the swing arm next to the caliper/mech. remove these bolts and the rear should pull apart, put the bolts back into the holes to keep all the parts safe. You should now have the swing arm only held by the main pivot bearings. You will now need to remove the cranks to gain access to the drive side pivot.

So now you have access to the pivot bolt heads, undo the bolt and remove the nut from the drive side. This is the head scratching point as it look as though it should come apart but is held by something. so if you look at the non drive side, the side the bolt came out. you will see what looks like an insert in the swing arm. This part looks very similar to the pivot nut when removed only it has a hole instead of a thread.

Removal of this cup/insert is most difficult, it is slightly tapered with no real way of pulling or hitting out. It is completely up to yourself on how you approach removal but here is how I did it. There are tools called stud extractors or easy outs which would cause the least damage to the cup, damage is the big factor here or minimising it. I used a Tap to fit biggest hole, then slid a screwdriver in from the drive side and just gently tapped it out.

A little bit of black spray paint to hide the new thread I made in the cup and I now have a way to remove it every time.

Hope this helps somebody out there as ive had a few weeks and 2 bike shops worth of headscratching
  • Just to make sure nobody damages anything.

DO NOT try and drift the shaft out. the part has been so over engineered there are spacers collars circlips and bits of frame in the way. you will just damage something.

The only way for strip down is to remove the threaded cup from the drive side and non threaded cup from the non drive side

GOOD LUCK