Gear cables - Scratching frame

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Ive got a 2012 Spesh Sectuer Sport which i got in November ish

I've just noticed the rear derailleur & brake cables run along the down tube across the paint :shock:

i just had to replace the outta on the gear cable as i had snapped off the ferule (where the outta goes into the shifter) an noticed that the cables have been wearing the paint away on the down tube!! so there are two lines of white (which im guessing is primer) where the cables lie

thats a pretty bad design flaw surely!?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I line rubbing places with reflective sticky tape.....
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • mudcow007
    jds_1981 wrote:
    I line rubbing places with reflective sticky tape.....

im thinking about getting some of that Helicopter Tape
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My frame came with small segments of helicopter tape for this very purpose.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I helicopter tape all my frames- main contact points- top and sides of top tube, full circumference and length of down tube and drive side chain stay.

i used to have an Allez and realised the crossed cables under the down tube were
    a) likely to scratch up the paint
    b) a bit of a thick idea as the cables rubbed constantly and pulled the rear mech cable tension slighty out.

swapped the sides over and re routed the cables straight and it solved the rubbing and kept the cables away from the frame. not as neat mind. Guessing the Sectuer is routed the same way?
  • mudcow007
    i think im going to need a metre + though as the cables have been wearing the whole length of my down tube
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    My Specialized Crosstrail came with the front brake cable zip-tied to the fork. I think this is how Spesh send em out. After a couple of months I took a look and noticed it had sliced it's way into the fork by about two millimetres! No damage to the cable, but still, a pretty crappy design, the top bit on the forks also has the paint rubbed away from the rear cables.

Nice one Specialized.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Nothing wrong with crossed inner cables, it lessens the curve at the headtube so makes the cable run smoother.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."