National Lottery Money

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Being a frequent visitor to York, it always depresses me to see the War Memorial near the City Walls in Station Road.

The names of all those who died are faded as a result of the effect of weathering.

It strikes me that it would be a fitting use of the good causes money to restore the war memorials across the country.

The sacrifices people made for our freedom to enjoy the relative luxury we now have should not be forgotten
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Wouldn't it be better to honour the generation involved in the war by looking after our elderly better? A war memorial won't keep someone warm or prevent them from being lonely and isolated. This might come across as a bit of a political troll post, but its a sincere question. Was memorials tend to be more about nationalism (i.e. these people died for *our* country) and that benefits people who have a stake in the establishment more than those who were forced to fight for it. Seems silly to spend money polishing monuments when we don't treat current and ex-servicemen with the respect they deserve.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    We pay enough tax that we should be able to do both (without a lottery).
    exercise.png
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    TheStone wrote:
    We pay enough tax that we should be able to do both (without a lottery).

Don't be silly, Eric 'skinny' Pickles has got bins that need emptying.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."