garmin edge 200

stronginthesun
stronginthesun Posts: 433
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
anyone got one ? got good reviews in the press and bike specific . severly tempted ? also not much more money thana top of the range cateye ect .

Comments

• Yes, got one just before Christmas so has only had a little use so far, just commuting. Easy set up & picks up satellites very quickly once switched on. What I would like to know from another owner (or an Edge 500 for that matter) is to how to download a course & follow the 'breadcrumb' (?) trail once I was at the start.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I've had one about six weeks now and am very happy with it. OK, you have to accept it's the cheapest & simplest model in their range (no hrm, cadence, speed magments or mapping - if you think you want any of that then you'll have to look at a 500 or 800 or other alternative). If you just want to know where you've been and how far/fast etc then it does what it says on the tin. The only change I'd like to see would be to be able to show the time but otherwise, the four standard items shown are just what I'd want. I havent tried the breadcrumb trail yet so cant comment on that feature (but will give it a go sometime, it could be useful).

I spent a fair time considering hte (cheaper) alternatives - a Holux 260 and Veloset 600. Either of those would probably have done what I wanted (& saved me a few £££). Even if buying now, I'd still consider those two as viable alternatives but would possibly still buy the 200.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Hi,
    Have been looking at these... How long does the charge last on them? Are they practical to use for cycle touring or do you need to charge them every day (assuming you use them!)...

Thanks

Andy
  • maveco
    maveco Posts: 67
    I have one. Batteries last ages, at least a week for commuting, hour and a half per day. Is great for 100 quid or so, the rubber USB cover is a bitch to get back in and if you don't do it right, that port is exposed to the elements. GPS is good and accurate, and resulting maps are accurate. Works great with Strava and the quarter turn is a doddle. Easy to set up and comes with two mounts if you have multiple bikes.

Have ridden it in really harsh weather, and got it muddy, still no issues.

Is nice not having any of the Cateye computer crap on my forks :)

Hope this helps.
  • maveco
    maveco Posts: 67
    Sorry - the quarter turn refers to the way you affix it to the mount. Is really easy, and much better than a Cateye front light removal, which I find annoying in the morning.

Also BikeRadar gave it a good score, I agree with their review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear ... uter-45160
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    RichK wrote:

I spent a fair time considering hte (cheaper) alternatives - a Holux 260

I saw another thread on BR asking about the Holux GPSport 260 and it looks like it could be quite good for the money as it has some basic navigation function. As I'm thinking about doing some audaxes this year that could be useful I also understand it has barometric altitude function.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Can you download gpx files/rides to this device and follow them when out riding?
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Stanley222 wrote:
    TrickyGB wrote:
    Can you download gpx files/rides to this device and follow them when out riding?

No
    Yes you can! Just drag and drop the .gpx into the "new files" folder.
  • thanks for the info, are they very easy to follow? sick out getting lost out in the sticks :(
  • tubbs_214
    tubbs_214 Posts: 185
    theres no maps just a line on the screen showing your position and direction and which way you should be heading. I could be wrong but dont they beep at you if you go off course, im going for a 705 so i get the mapping tried a new ride at weekend with the google maps on my Iphone although i didnt get lost it was a pain having to stop every now and then to make sure i was going the right way plus it drains the battery not good if something where to go wrong. Im sure theres a video on you tube showing some guy following a route mapped on a 200 ill have a look see if i can find it
  • tubbs_214
    tubbs_214 Posts: 185
    theres a good review of it there and it tells you about the breadcrumb trail as well i couldnt find the video maybe it was off a 500 but its the same idea

http://road.cc/content/news/44096-first ... n-edge-200