OT: Tax question

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I am frustrated today and hormonal so it's getting to me more than usual. Before I break something can anyone answer this.

I'm registered for self assessment and have submitted my tax return. My at a glance now says
You have nothing to pay.

You have a total of £xxx becoming due for payment. Your next payment is due on 31 Jan 2012.

afaik you neeed to pay your tax bill before 31st Jan. If so, how can I have nothing to pay. Surely you have xxx to pay up until you pay it when it is due by a deadline.

Tax doesn't have to be taxing my @rse!!!

Comments

• The 'You have nothing to pay" bit is saying that you have no overdue tax, but you have to pay the £XXX on, or before the end of January.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Could be that you have nothing to pay against the year you've submitted the form for: 2010-11, but due to expected income (not taxed at source... divds etc), you need to make a payment this month for the 2011-12 account.
    exercise.png
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Is there a question, or just a rant?

Until 31st Jan, there is no tax to pay - on 31st Jan the tax is due. So the statement is correct. Otherwise they would also have to include the 2nd payment on account that's due 31st July in the "tax Due" statement?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • suzyb
    Good point, didn't actually form a proper question :wink:

I still think it's worded in a confusing way even if it is correct.

Can anyone confirm whether my Self Assessment reference number that I need to quote when paying is my UTR plus the letter K.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    suzyb wrote:

Can anyone confirm whether my Self Assessment reference number that I need to quote when paying is my UTR plus the letter K.

Yes, it is
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • suzyb
    suzyb wrote:

Yes, it is