Why do riders refuse to use cycle paths?

13»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,405
    Wow, local radio DJ with inflated ego and sense of importance trying to make a contraversial statement. Nothing new here!!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,053
    Koncordski wrote:
    paul.waddington@plain-text.co.uk
    Paul Waddington
    Chairman
    Mob: on the beverley club website....
    Paul Waddington has already told Paul Nero that he is an idiot, according to a cycling friend of mine who met Paul Nero at a business meeting this morning.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Plenty do, I do but a lot of them simply aren't good enough.

They have rough, inconsistent surfaces, are poorly maintained, more pot holes and puddles, don't get gritted in winter, don't get leaves cleared in Autumn, don't get broken glass cleared up as often as roads, other cyclists, pedestrians often don't treat them like roads, they tend to have more forced stops, points to leave and join are limited and placement may slow cyclists down, travelling at over 15mph is dangerous because of the above. Therefore they are unsuitable for the more experienced rider when speed and safety is important.

I'd rather be dodged by cars than dodge pedestrians and their kids and pets.

In Winter I'd rather fall on the road where someone will see me than freeze to death on an unused, iced up cycle path, survival instinct iirc.

That said there are some that make for a convenient short cut or extra lane. But most of then time saved is lost again when negotiating obstructions or trying to rejoin the main road network.
    /rant
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Because you have to move all over the place to avoid those piles of leaves which *might* contain large stones knocked off the walls. Because a shared use cycle path will invariably have jogging or walking pedestrians who are all plugged into iPods and can't hear your bell, and you end up having to follow them because the shared use path is no wider than a standard width footpath (shared-use path along the A369 from Abbots Leigh to Leigh Woods, I'm talking to you!)
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I would if there was any on my commute. My alternative to the roads are waggonways that are unlit & tarmac free, full of dog sh*t, broken bottles and mindless dog walkers listening to their i-pods! A small detour takes me onto farm tracks, nice during the summer, crap this time of year. :roll:
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    In case anyone in the South West area is interested, Radio Exe (Formerly Exeter FM) of which Mr Nero is Managing Director is planning an open day at their Exeter offices at some point (Date not yet set)

May be a mass delegation of cyclists should turn up on the day :)

Will keep you posted as to day and time :)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • briantrumpet
    NGale wrote:
    May be a mass delegation of cyclists should turn up on the day
    I like that idea.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    NGale wrote:
    I like that idea.

Not advocating anything fractious, more of a peaceful delegation where perhaps he could talk with a few of us to take on board the cyclists point of view and that the impact of his article could have on the safety of cyclists if others decided to take his piece seriously.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • briantrumpet
    NGale wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    I like that idea.

Not advocating anything fractious, more of a peaceful delegation where perhaps he could talk with a few of us to take on board the cyclists point of view and that the impact of his article could have on the safety of cyclists if others decided to take his piece seriously.
    Indeed. All shapes & sizes of cyclists would be a good idea. BTW, did you post this under another nom de plume on Cycle Chat? My suggestion there might be serious. Could be a good focal point event.