Driving bans.....

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
How do they work, for example, when the person getting the ban is too young to drive, or has no licence?

On 'cops with cameras' type shows they're forever pulling over drivers who have no licence because they're too young, they're old enough but have never applied, they had a provisional and it's expired, they've been banned etc

The narrator will often say they've been given a 6 month driving ban. But if you're 15, you can't drive anyway, so how does a ban do* anything?

Does the ban apply once they pass their test?

Does it start from the day they turn 17, so they can't apply for a licence for another 6 months?

Or does it start from the day of the sentence, so if you're given a 6 month ban on your 15th birthday, you're "allowed" to drive at 15 and 6 months? :? You're obviously not allowed to drive at that age, so is it a punishment at all?

*There is of course the fact that they weren't allowed to drive in the first place so saying "as punishment for driving when you weren't allowed to, we'll make it so you're not allowed to drive" may not work as a deterrent, but that's a different matter
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• I beleive the ban is enforced once a licence is issed. So it they apply for a provisional at 17, they'll receive their licence in a further 6 months, potentially with points on it.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    I beleive the ban is enforced once a licence is issed. So it they apply for a provisional at 17, they'll receive their licence in a further 6 months, potentially with points on it.

+1 - aye what he said

only applicable when you pass your license
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Both the preceeding answers are wrong.

Driving bans points etc apply from the date imposed by the court.

So if a 15 year old gets a 6month ban, it will apply immediately, not from when he is 17 or holds a licence.

What is the point of this? If you are banned from driving by a court order and ignore the ban then you can be sent to prison.

If you are disqualified from driving by age only - ie under 17, or not hold a full licence etc then you cannot be sent to prison
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • bails87
    Ahhhhh, thanks Spen! :D
    MTB/CX

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    bails87 wrote:
    Ahhhhh, thanks Spen! :D

If its points on a licence, they are on licence for 4 years from date of imposition, but they count for 3 years only for totting up purposes.

so if Lucy gets say 6 points on her licence on her 15th birthday. These will remain for totting up purposes until her 18th birthday, but cannot be removed from licence until after her 19th birthday
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • My personal faves are the £100 fine for driving without insurance. The insurance would be what, £500? Why not make the fine double the cheapest insurance quote?
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    My personal faves are the £100 fine for driving without insurance. The insurance would be what, £500? Why not make the fine double the cheapest insurance quote?

Its very rare to see no further sentence than a £100 fine for Driving without insurance. Usually it carries a minimum of 6 points, and usually a disqualification. (in my experience of working in a Magistrates Court)
  • My personal faves are the £100 fine for driving without insurance. The insurance would be what, £500? Why not make the fine double the cheapest insurance quote?

Its very rare to see no further sentence than a £100 fine for Driving without insurance. Usually it carries a minimum of 6 points, and usually a disqualification. (in my experience of working in a Magistrates Court)

Well that's good to know :) The worry, I suppose, is that the person who's happy to drive around with no insurance is probably fine with driving around with no license either... Also, how exactly are those fines paid and enforced by the way? What happens if someone doesn't pay?
    Ribble Audax - FCN 5
    Dedacciai Pista - FCN 3
  • LeicesterLad
    My personal faves are the £100 fine for driving without insurance. The insurance would be what, £500? Why not make the fine double the cheapest insurance quote?

Well that's good to know :) The worry, I suppose, is that the person who's happy to drive around with no insurance is probably fine with driving around with no license either... Also, how exactly are those fines paid and enforced by the way? What happens if someone doesn't pay?

If somebody doesn't pay, the Baliffs go round to collect the money, if they still refuse to pay, they are picked up by the police and put before the Court. (at which point they usually pay :D )
  • bails87
    Don't they tend to seize the car too? So you have to pay the fine, and prove you've got insurance in order to get the car back. As well as having points on your licence.
    MTB/CX

• LeicesterLad
    bails87 wrote:
    Don't they tend to seize the car too? So you have to pay the fine, and prove you've got insurance in order to get the car back. As well as having points on your licence.

Yep, If you are pulled over, the car goes and you get a nice walk home. Then to get it back you must provide valid insurance paperwork to the Police Station.
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181

If somebody doesn't pay, the Baliffs go round to collect the money, if they still refuse to pay, they are picked up by the police and put before the Court. (at which point they usually pay :D )

In theory. In practise, vast amounts of fines imposed by Magistrates Courts are never collected.
  • LeicesterLad
    hmbadger wrote:

In theory. In practise, vast amounts of fines imposed by Magistrates Courts are never collected.

You are right, however these tend to be the people in Court for criminal matters, less so the people for Road Traffic.