Training programme for weight loss and fitness

Sodfoster
Sodfoster Posts: 412
edited February 2012 in Health, fitness & training
I'm looking for some good advice on the type of training I need to be doing in the Gym to compliment my riding ability and overall fitness. I'm aiming to lose two stone (I'm currently 14 1/2) over the coming 5-6 months though training and a healthy diet. I'm hoping to be out on the bike 2-3 times a week (one 25k plus ride the other 10k plus) the rest will be in the gym.

Key areas I want to improve: Stamina, speed uphill, body fat reduction, core strength.

Any advice appreciated. Also before people say "just get out and ride" the gym is gonna be my only real option during the week due to work.
Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    have a look around on Bodybuilding.com

they have a good seletion of training programmes for all abilities

they may even have some cycling specifc programmes
  • boothuk
    boothuk Posts: 21
    The key reason people fail to maintain a healthy lifestyle is to change too much at once. Get your excercise routine in place for a month or two before you change your eating habits. It will allow you plenty of time to research a proper diet (not a fad one!) that can compliment your goals.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I'd say sort your diet first, as this is the most important thing, if your diet is right you'll lose weight without having to worry about the exercise. What is your diet like at the moment? What do you typically eat during a day?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    styxd wrote:
    I'd say sort your diet first, as this is the most important thing, if your diet is right you'll lose weight without having to worry about the exercise. What is your diet like at the moment? What do you typically eat during a day?

this

your progress with rely a lot on what you eat. you can exercise all you want, but of you have a poor diet, you will see poor results
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    I can recommend http://www.amazon.co.uk/Weight-Training-Cyclists-Program-Endurance/dp/1934030295/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325880708&sr=8-1

Have been following the programme for a couple of years now.

Dave.
  • Sodfoster
    Diet is ok lots of fruit veg etc need to cut the ale out and choc but apart from that I eat quiet well. Just wanted some advice for training ideas in the gym and when I'm on the bike
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• Sodfoster
    Diet is ok lots of fruit veg etc need to cut the ale out and choc but apart from that I eat quiet well. Just wanted some advice for training ideas in the gym and when I'm on the bike
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

• Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    Start simple and focus on a good foundation first.

Single leg squats, single leg deadlift, core activation and checking posterior firing patterns (glute, hamstring and then Erector spinae)

All these are very basic start but when done correctly can make a very big difference to your training.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Stamina, speed uphill

To improve your stamina ride for longer. Doing 15 mile rides is unlikely to build epic stamina.

To improve your hill climbing, ride up hills. Not really any magic formulae!
  • Burnz0
    Burnz0 Posts: 35
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with weight training or if they are to be used, only very light weights. The majority of muscle groups can be trained using your body weight and arguably you get results strength/size as the muscles are more efficient - although it may take longer if you are looking to bulk up visually. From that, if you concentrate on pressups, pull-ups, dips, squats, lunges, upside down pressups (if you have the strength) etc. - already in that list there's a massive range of variations you can use so you should be able to get a very decent all round workout. You should also try exercises focused on the core - sit ups, plank etc. and also lots of stretching. Additionally, you'll need to do lots of cardio - you could use the bike, but it's probably best to do something different e.g. cross trainer, rowing machine, as it'll shock your system if you're already doing lots of riding and it'll be more effective if you're limited on time.
    If you build up your cardio and strengthen your core, you'll improve your stamina and definitely see body fat reduction. The only weights I might consider using are on your legs, especially if you're interested in improving speed and uphill - specifically your quads, but for the rest of your body, it makes more sense to be as small and lean as possible, to reduce weight etc.
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    To increase stamina, I'd definitely look at doing some interval training, which in turn could really help your hill climbing ability.
    If you are in the gym, most exercise bikes/treadmills have preset programmes, but on the treadmill at least keeping it running and jumping on and off can be easier.
    Assuming you're at a reasonable level of fitness, I'd start off with 1 minute medium paced jog, then 30-45 seconds running at 70% maximum. Alternate jogging/running for 10 mins to start off with.
    You can then start to play around with the length of time of each low/high intensity cycle, increasing the intensity of the high intensity cycle or the overall length of time. (For example, jogging for 30 seconds, sprinting for 1 minute at 80% maximum for 15 minutes).
    I use a variation on this on the bike, cycling up a hill at 80% of my maximum, coasting down and repeating. I just vary the number of times I cycle up/down the hill, the effort I put into the climb and the time coasting down to suit.
    Hopefully, you'll find your recovery time decreases massively and your ability to sustain high intensity exercise, such as climbing a hill, increases.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Quite a good article in Feb-March Outdoor Fitness magazine
    Dave
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,327
    Sodfoster wrote:
    Key areas I want to improve: Stamina, speed uphill, body fat reduction, core strength.

Any advice appreciated. Also before people say "just get out and ride" the gym is gonna be my only real option during the week due to work.
    Do you have the possibility to commute to work by bike at all?

Road riding might not be every MTB'er idea of great fun but IMO it's good training for moutain biking, works many of the right muscles and should help with most of those key areas you want to improve on. Certainly works for me and it's very time efficient if you're short of riding time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]