car insurance advice - off topic

sufferingpete
sufferingpete Posts: 524
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Firstly this is way off topic but I am always amazed at the knowledge of the forum members!

I am after some advice regarding car insurance.

I decided to switch companies this year to obtain a much lower premium. I did not go for the lowest price but fairly mid range and a well known company. After insuring with them online and accepting my order a couple of weeks after they then asked proof of my no claims bonus. I sent my renewal notice from my previous company which had full no claims bonus protection - this I believe to be only available on full no claims discount. They rejected this as proof and charged me another ninety six pounds. I now believe I have lost my maximum no claims discount.

I cant see my previous insurance company giving me a certificate with my NCD on it however I will try.

This is the first time in 28 years of car insurance having been asked for it and thought that they could check claims through the central insurance database.

I feel as though I have now been conned.
Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.

Comments

• Your previous insurers are bound by law to confirm that you have had no claims with them in the past 5 years or whatever. Its not proof of the no claims bonus that your new insurers need, its proof you have had no claims. Ask your previous company for it, they will provide it. I had a similar situation and did get the no claims discount reinstated.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Hi.
    You previous insurer are bound to give you a proof of no claims cert, however you will only get this after your insurance expires as you may have an accident seconds before it expires. By the sounds of it (may be wrong) you sent your renewal notice which was sent to you before the insurance had expired.
    Sounds like a simple admin error on your side and unfortunately the nasty insurance people are out to make an extra buck!
    Good news is that its an easy fix and although your new insurer's have tried it on I imagine they will quickly fix it when you get your proof of no claims. In future just contact the new insurer direct to tell them the reason for the delay in providing proof and they just extend the period to show proof.
    Hope that helps
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i know that a renewal is not proof of no claims, a "certificate of no claims bonus" is required

i went through something similar with Admiral a few months back.

Also beware of those policies that you pay for 10months an give you a years NCB. alot of companies do not honour the NCB - this happened to me with an Norwich Union policy when i was a youngster
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • My previous insurance company - more than - is now going to send my certificate - they were very helpful.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.