Mudguard or wet bum.........

2»

Comments

• Maybe he's a girl, and he has a "front bum"
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Mudguards, any fool can get shee ite up and cold :D Waterproof shorts when it rains to keep my manly thighs dry & warm ;)
  • mudguard, 3 hours with a wet backside twice a week is not for me :lol:
    anthem x with many upgrades
  • Hmm, have ridden for ever with no mudguard (and I definitely aim for the stuff when I'm riding) but I'm getting fed up of all the washing as I ride 3 times a week. I am contemplating cutting off a pair of old blue waterproof trousers, so I can wear waterproof shorts and a waterproof jacket, otherwise the mud gets so caked on that I either have to wait for it to dry and then shake it of, or hose clothes down when they're still wet so I don't silt up the washing machine. I'm always a bit short on time (and clothes) so this could be an option for me in this time of squelchy riding.....

Yes, I wear MTB clothes twice sometimes before I wash them. Eco-stinky...
  • BigLee1
    Lots of people are getting ex army goretex trousers for about £15 and cutting them down to make shorts,myself included, and they are a great, cheap, hardwearing alternative to the £60+ mtb specific kit
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Maybe he's a girl, and he has a "front bum"

He is definitely a he and does not have a front bum....... :D
    I do,like the idea of army gortex trousers cut down to shorts, might take that one up for the wettest of rides.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TownyDC wrote:
    Maybe he's a girl, and he has a "front bum"

He is definitely a he and does not have a front bum....... :D
    You've checked that area out carefully?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Rear ones also do a great job of keeping a load of crap off your dropper seatpost too :)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    DodgeT wrote:
    Rear ones also do a great job of keeping a load of crap off your dropper seatpost too :)
    and if you ride anywhere thats used by dog walkers, there also useful in keeping crap off you :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    No mudguard...

I quite like the feeling of having slippery cheeks....
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • diddyfunk
    diddyfunk Posts: 252
    Mud Guards this time of year! Front and back

Number 1, it means I do not need to wash my pack and number 2, I have no idea why anyone would want to ride for 3 hours with a soaking ar5e!
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stop wearing lycra and get thick baggy shorts. They get muddy but you don't have a wet arse. Though I don't find it gets all that muddy as my arse doesn't hang off the back all the time. Back and backpack gets a bit of mud.

Don't care though. Less hassle than trying to re-adjust a guard that's flapping about and catching the wheel all the time, and then ending up ripping it off out of frustration.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    deadkenny wrote:
    Less hassle than trying to re-adjust a guard that's flapping about and catching the wheel all the time, and then ending up ripping it off out of frustration.

Doesn't happen, unless you buy a rubbish one anyway.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    depends how muddy it is, yesturday at swinley wasnt that bad but if it was really muddy then i would probably use one.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Mudguard's all the way.

Some of you lot really are tarts....
  • I had mudguards on my old bike but haven't fitted them on my new one yet.

Rode home from work the other night and ended up filthy with my rear light and pack caked in mud so I'll probably look at fitting it before I go out again.

I can't see the point in not fitting it to be honest if it does the job and keeps me even mildly dryer.
    Beware the Judderman my dear, when the moon is fat. Sharp of tongue and spindle limbed he is, and cunning.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    My Riding Friend had a mudguard once... it's now in a bush somewhere on Cannock chase because they are a waste of time and money...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • wet bum/shorts.
    Specialized Rockhopper 2009/XT/Fox Float 120 RLC
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    If you are doing any serious rides this time of year staying dry is essential and is a must, for riding around a trial centre I would not bother.
    Just make sure you buy a decent mudguard that does have a good locking mechanism so it stays in place. The seems to be loads on the market now that are either to short in length or have a bad designed clamp.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Rushmore wrote:
    My Riding Friend had a mudguard once... it's now in a bush somewhere on Cannock chase because they are a waste of time and money...

Why is it so many people do it wrong, then assume there's no way to do it right? The mudguard on my hardtail's been there for 3 months and I've only had to adjust it once (because I whacked it off a fallen tree yesterday) Good product, fitted right.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    have to agree with northwind there always had a crudcatcher on my hardtail since 07 i never had to adjust it..

i had to replace my old trusy crud catcher with one of those new ones,. to fit on my new hardtail (as the bracket was to long and i could not get my seat low enough with it) had the new crud catcher on since october only adjutment i had to make was when i knocked it getting off the bike....

and littering the trail/country side shame on you..
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    You no-guard guys are funny. If you are omitting the mudguard cause it doesn't look cool or manly, take another look in the mirror as you leave for a ride and ask yourself who you think you are fooling.

I use front and rear guards. Without the rear mudguard, my hydration pack ends up looking like a giant mudpie and it's hard to clean. Without the front guard, I am blinded by flying mud and ride off cliffs, dying a horrible and painful death. No, really.
  • DodgeT
    If you don't end a ride like this, its just not mtb'ing :D

http://www.siegecraftnw.com/VDR-11-05Supermuddy.jpg

(think i'll stick with my mudguards..)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I can only use a front guard as the rear hits my tyre when jumping, only other thing is to stay indoors until the weather and trails are dry and that is never gonna be an option.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • DodgeT
    Shouldn't jump so far then should you :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    DodgeT wrote:
    If you don't end a ride like this, its just not mtb'ing :D

http://www.siegecraftnw.com/VDR-11-05Supermuddy.jpg
    Awesome! Embrace the mud, don't reject it :D

Anyway, makes you look like you're all one with nature. Or a smelly hippy.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    1mancity2 wrote:
    I can only use a front guard as the rear hits my tyre when jumping, only other thing is to stay indoors until the weather and trails are dry and that is never gonna be an option.

thats why hardtails are better :lol: :P

this was driving me crazy when i was in whistler on my butcher running a rear crud catcher, the weather was bad so to keep my arse dry i took the crud catcher the constant buzzing was annoying, eventually i found were to mount it to stop it buzzing the wheel..
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    i havent had any bother with my rear mudguard, cant see how it can catch the wheel unless its set to rub against it! i do have a hardtail mind :)
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    BigLee1 wrote:
    Lots of people are getting ex army goretex trousers for about £15 and cutting them down to make shorts,myself included, and they are a great, cheap, hardwearing alternative to the £60+ mtb specific kit

The swishing noise they make would drive me up the wall in no time. Wet bum it is.
  • BigLee1
    I can`t hear it for the wind whistling past my ears! ;)