Iphone 4s things

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
This is as good a place to ask as any...
Does anyone know how easy it is to unregister my iPhone 4S if I want to sell it?? ...and, whether I can sell it legally.

Just to explain, Ive taken out a new Orange contract just a month ago, and got a 32GB iPhone 4S, well, after a couple of weeks of having the iPhone its now sat in its box doing nothing, the reason? Cant stand it.

Can I unregister this simply and sell it on via eBay or whatever, or, is this not the done thing cos its 'in-contract'. Its no good to me, and I wont be changing my mind, Ive put the SIM in my old BlackBerry and am happy with that, what I really want to do is sell the iPhone as it will help me to fund buying a new BlackBerry SIM Free at some point soon.

Im sure iPhone 4S's are reasonably easy to sell as everybody and his mum seems to want one!! I dont quite 'get it' myself, I only went for it as Orange only offered a completely unlimited tariff on iPhone.

Any pointers gratefully received on this. Ta.

Comments

• jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    What don't you like about it?

Without saying 'everything'.

Sorry, just interested. I have no idea as to the legality of your plans.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Read the contract-doubt it is yours to sell so it would be theft to ` appropriate` it.
    Might be best to undo the contract for another.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • mfin
    Well, like I said the only reason I got it was because there is no 'unlimited minutes' plan by Orange on anything but iPhone, and I use my phone A LOT.

Here you go though, this is what I dont like:
    1) Touchscreen, not for me im afraid, its really slow to type on compared to a BB with a Keyboard, painfully slow. Now, I can type as quick as anyone on one, but it will never compare in speed to a physical keyboard (I use computers all day long for a living).

2) Reception. I live in an area with quite varying reception. Whilst Orange and T-Mobile have teamed up, it is not until the Orange Signal is totally lost that it will switch to T-Mobile. So I can have 1 bar of Orange, when i could have 5 bars of T-Mobile, so the rule is NOT 'it goes for the strongest signal' ....AAAANYWAY... that bit is not 'iPhone specific' BUT, what I can say, is with the same SIM the BB holds a stronger signal. AND, the iPhone can often go to no signal, SOS only, and can sit there like that for an hour say, and I wont have moved one inch, but I know that if I DIAL my VoiceMail, after a few seconds mucking about it re-establishes a Signal. NOTE: This is NOT a faulty iPhone, Ive compared it to a friends side by side in the same place on Orange. ....SO... in short, for people who live in areas where coverage is not so good, the iPhone is awful.

3) Aesthetically I think the iPhone is good (I like Apple products, have a new MacBook AIr 11 here for example, love it), BUT... iPhone is like a slippery bar of soap, it WILL get dropped without some kind of grippy case (I havent dropped mine, but know I would), so in my view, you have to put something very slick looking into some kind of case, and I am not 15 and dont want £10 of crap plastic round my phone thanks)

4) It does lots of things well, lots of good apps BUT in the end, I use my phone for Phone Calls and Texting, not much else. Operationally, these two areas are both needlessly a pain in the ass. Okay, Ive mentioned Texts, and no phone without a keyboard will ever compete (note my next point on Siri) with one that has a physical one. AS for phone calls, well, try driving in your car on car kit and dialling someone with an iPhone, dangerous, you have to look at it to unlock screen, then look to go to phone, finding a contact and all that, far too much concentration, and I can talk whilst driving or eat a Mars Bar without fainting with how diffcult it is to do whilst driving at the same time. On BB for instance I can just take one split second glance and hold down 'W' for 'W*****rs' for instance if I wish to speed dial the bank, and hey presto, its ringing. ...in short, everything you do on an iPhone requires concentration.

5) Siri - well, Siri SHOULD be the saving grace for calling and texting, so you can press one button and say 'CALL BANK' or say 'TEXT BANK' and sure enough it says 'WHAT DO YOU WANNA TEXT' or whatever and I just dictate it and tell it to send.... Yes, this works... WHEN IM AT HOME ON A WIFI SIGNAL... fact is, Siri relies on a good fast data connection to interpret what youve said, and to be honest, at home on my wifi of my broadband, it works, but even on 3G it can be s**t and unusable, and on GPRS, forget it. ....ALSO, add in some background noise, like the car kit and road noise, and it lessens the chance of it working well. So much so that Id say behind my house in car not running but on the car-kit and wifi its fine, start the car and drive away even with a good 3G signal and Siri is unusable in the real world.

6) Data reliance. Take something like Facebook. On Blackberry, the App needs minium data connection to work, on iPhone, no way, it really needs a GOOD data connection, its like its viewing a Mobile Site yes, but its nowhere near as optimised. ALSO... look at FB on a BB and it will show you FB, and begin updating. FB on iPhone will often show you NOTHING at all while the symbol spins, and if you get no good data connection, you will see nothing on screen.

7) Battery life is NOT good

8) Battery connector is fiddly really, should have a small dedicated easy to plug in charger IMO.

9) iTunes reliance is pathetic really, but everyone knows this... oh for a drag n drop file structure and simple contacts/calendar backup. Apple do make you use their products in the way they intend them to be used, its a shame you have to hack them if you want to use them simply. (I bought a £140 Sony Walkman mp3 for an Xmas prez and a £130 iPod Nano for another prez ...the iPod is lovely, BUT, its a pain, the Walkman had 3GB of music on it as quick as I could copy it on, the iPod was iTunes this, iTunes that, p**sing about).

...there's some points for you!! ...I suppose I should say something in its defence, so some good points

1) Its made beautifully, such high quality it seems.

2) Some of the apps, such as the mapping is brilliant

3) It is easy to use for people who arent in a hurry. An old person could be shown how to use it (once its been setup)

4) The UI beats Android for elegance hands down

5) The camera is GOOD, (but I dont use cameras in phones)

...forgive any typos and grammar, im not re-reading my rant!! :) (I said slightly more than 'everything' didnt i?? :) )
  • mfin
    nevman wrote:
    Read the contract-doubt it is yours to sell so it would be theft to ` appropriate` it.
    Might be best to undo the contract for another.

Pain in the a** really isnt it, I assume its not really my property to sell, mind you people do seem to be selling 'unwanted upgrades' on eBay, so they're doing what I want to do, I would need to unregister mine though and I dont know how to do that even if I did decide to follow suit.

I really dont know of the legalities of selling a phone whilst 'in contract', Im sort of thinking it does become my property the moment I entered the contract so i CAN sell it, my obligation is nothing but to complete the contract by making the payments, I dunno though, Im being simplistic here, I just wanna know how to unregister it and whether I can sell it. I dont expect helicopters with big spot lights and people shooting down ropes onto my rooftop if I decide to put it on eBay.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    mfin wrote:
    Well, like I said the only reason I got it was because there is no 'unlimited minutes' plan by Orange on anything but iPhone, and I use my phone A LOT.

Here you go though, this is what I dont like:
    1) Touchscreen, not for me im afraid, its really slow to type on compared to a BB with a Keyboard, painfully slow. Now, I can type as quick as anyone on one, but it will never compare in speed to a physical keyboard (I use computers all day long for a living).

2) Reception. I live in an area with quite varying reception. Whilst Orange and T-Mobile have teamed up, it is not until the Orange Signal is totally lost that it will switch to T-Mobile. So I can have 1 bar of Orange, when i could have 5 bars of T-Mobile, so the rule is NOT 'it goes for the strongest signal' ....AAAANYWAY... that bit is not 'iPhone specific' BUT, what I can say, is with the same SIM the BB holds a stronger signal. AND, the iPhone can often go to no signal, SOS only, and can sit there like that for an hour say, and I wont have moved one inch, but I know that if I DIAL my VoiceMail, after a few seconds mucking about it re-establishes a Signal. NOTE: This is NOT a faulty iPhone, Ive compared it to a friends side by side in the same place on Orange. ....SO... in short, for people who live in areas where coverage is not so good, the iPhone is awful.

3) Aesthetically I think the iPhone is good (I like Apple products, have a new MacBook AIr 11 here for example, love it), BUT... iPhone is like a slippery bar of soap, it WILL get dropped without some kind of grippy case (I havent dropped mine, but know I would), so in my view, you have to put something very slick looking into some kind of case, and I am not 15 and dont want £10 of crap plastic round my phone thanks)

4) It does lots of things well, lots of good apps BUT in the end, I use my phone for Phone Calls and Texting, not much else. Operationally, these two areas are both needlessly a pain in the ass. Okay, Ive mentioned Texts, and no phone without a keyboard will ever compete (note my next point on Siri) with one that has a physical one. AS for phone calls, well, try driving in your car on car kit and dialling someone with an iPhone, dangerous, you have to look at it to unlock screen, then look to go to phone, finding a contact and all that, far too much concentration, and I can talk whilst driving or eat a Mars Bar without fainting with how diffcult it is to do whilst driving at the same time. On BB for instance I can just take one split second glance and hold down 'W' for 'W*****rs' for instance if I wish to speed dial the bank, and hey presto, its ringing. ...in short, everything you do on an iPhone requires concentration.

5) Siri - well, Siri SHOULD be the saving grace for calling and texting, so you can press one button and say 'CALL BANK' or say 'TEXT BANK' and sure enough it says 'WHAT DO YOU WANNA TEXT' or whatever and I just dictate it and tell it to send.... Yes, this works... WHEN IM AT HOME ON A WIFI SIGNAL... fact is, Siri relies on a good fast data connection to interpret what youve said, and to be honest, at home on my wifi of my broadband, it works, but even on 3G it can be s**t and unusable, and on GPRS, forget it. ....ALSO, add in some background noise, like the car kit and road noise, and it lessens the chance of it working well. So much so that Id say behind my house in car not running but on the car-kit and wifi its fine, start the car and drive away even with a good 3G signal and Siri is unusable in the real world.

6) Data reliance. Take something like Facebook. On Blackberry, the App needs minium data connection to work, on iPhone, no way, it really needs a GOOD data connection, its like its viewing a Mobile Site yes, but its nowhere near as optimised. ALSO... look at FB on a BB and it will show you FB, and begin updating. FB on iPhone will often show you NOTHING at all while the symbol spins, and if you get no good data connection, you will see nothing on screen.

7) Battery life is NOT good

8) Battery connector is fiddly really, should have a small dedicated easy to plug in charger IMO.

9) iTunes reliance is pathetic really, but everyone knows this... oh for a drag n drop file structure and simple contacts/calendar backup. Apple do make you use their products in the way they intend them to be used, its a shame you have to hack them if you want to use them simply. (I bought a £140 Sony Walkman mp3 for an Xmas prez and a £130 iPod Nano for another prez ...the iPod is lovely, BUT, its a pain, the Walkman had 3GB of music on it as quick as I could copy it on, the iPod was iTunes this, iTunes that, p**sing about).

...there's some points for you!! ...I suppose I should say something in its defence, so some good points

1) Its made beautifully, such high quality it seems.

2) Some of the apps, such as the mapping is brilliant

3) It is easy to use for people who arent in a hurry. An old person could be shown how to use it (once its been setup)

4) The UI beats Android for elegance hands down

5) The camera is GOOD, (but I dont use cameras in phones)

...forgive any typos and grammar, im not re-reading my rant!! :) (I said slightly more than 'everything' didnt i?? :) )

Sounds like you might be able to get used to it.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    hate my i-phone 4 , but it was company issue - it cant get through a day without a re-charge.
    Fashion accessory 10/10 - business phone 2/10

so I have an HTC HD7 - fabulous
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    You should be able to buy out the contract and then do with it as you wish.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The phone is yours.Are you honest? Do you intend to claim you have lost the phone/had it stolen?If not, then sell it and forget about it.Of course, a potential buyer may be put off by this.
    As long as you are honest when advertising the fact that it is an unwanted upgrade, I have a feeling you will have no problem selling it.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    punt it, if apple in the UK are like canada, they don't give a monkeys.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1108987--does-apple-service-stolen-phones
    FCN 12
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Not too sure where you stand on the legality side of things but the phone will have a high trade in value of you choose to buy out the contract.

The mrs has been paying £42 per month for the last two years for her O2 contract. A total spend of £1008.

She recently traded in both the 2 year old Iphone 3 she had in year one and the 1 year old Iphone 4 from year 2 for around £430. Effectively nearly halving her total cost of the contract. Your new and hardly used phone must have value in the region of £500+.

However, speak to Orange and see what they can do for you. If you're happy with the contract but simply want a blackberry phone, I'll wager you can sort something through returning the phone with them.

Just for the record, I Personally am not an Apple fan for exactly what you listed in point 9.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I always buy my phones outright and I have an ideal contract with Orange where I have unlimited landline calls, which saves me a fortune.

I wanted an iPhone 4 but didn't want to sign up for an iPhone tariff, the simple solution initially was to recut my old sim to fit, load of youtube vids on how to do it, then all I had to do was keep my old contract with my sim fitting the new phone.

Then I heard about Orange having a permanent amnesty for people who did that, so I called them and they sent me out a new sim card and upgraded my record to support the iPhone technically.

So I now have the contract I want using the iPhone I own.

The iPhone has saved me a fortune with its practical ways of working, I accepted that it was designed by a genius, so therefore if I couldn't get on with it then it had to be me.

Usually there is an app for anything I find that I need, as for battery life switch off everything you don't need and you'll be surprised how long you can get out of it.

HTH