Giant defy 1 2012

alihisgreat
alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
edited February 2013 in Your road bikes
Bought my first road bike on monday from one of the giant-stores with a nice 10% discount, took it out for a short blast on Tuesday and now just waiting for a few bits to arrive. (so don't worry about the dodgy pedals -> a nice set of black 105 SPD-SLs are on the way :mrgreen: )

Specs:

Giant Defy 1 2012
Frame: ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminium (smooth welds)
Size: M/L
Fork: Advanced-Grade Composite, Alloy OverDrive Steerer, 1 1/8"-1 1/4" Bearings
Handlebar: Giant Connect, 31.8
Stem: Giant Connect
Seatpost: Giant Connect Composite
Saddle: Giant Performance Road

Shifters: Shimano 105, 20 speed
Front Derailleuer: Shimano 105
Rear Derailleuer: Shimano 105
Brakes: Tektro TK-R540 Giant Specific, Dual Pivot
Brake Levers: Shimano 105
Cassette: Shimano Tiagra 11x28
Chain: Shimano Tiagra
Crankset: Shimano R565 34/50

Rims: Giant P-R2
Hubs: Giant Sealed Bearing 24/28h
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition
Tyres: Giant P-R3, Front and Rear specific, 700x23mm

Weighs in under 9kg, something like 8.9kg.

Definitely made the right choice, the ride is amazing, groupset works well and the quality of the wheels and finishing kit is great. + it just got a great review in Cycling Plus "definitly a contender for a bike of the year spot" :mrgreen:

Potential upgrades/tweaks?

-Brakes -> would 105 brakes be an upgrade?
-Chainset -> currently non-series R565 how does this compare to 105?
-wheels (maybe in the summer)

More pics to follow when i can get my hands on a decent camera and some good natural light!

6641460369_840003b271.jpg

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looks smart. Expecting the mrs to burst through the doors though asking how her new hairdo is, sending bike flying :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Oh, and well done for observing OCP rules :)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    The giant specific mudguards would be a good start to protect the bike and you from the worst of the spray.
    Leave the wheels till the summer but consider better tyres, Mich Kryllion or something comparable.
    Run that groupset into the ground before swapping it out/ upgrading.
    You might not get along with the stock saddle so potentially another upgrade option.
    Have a Defy as a winter trainer and love it. Great F&F and new wheels in the summer willl really liven it up.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    looks a beauty, I think Giant were right on the money with the colour scheme / paint jobs on the defy. Enjoy the bike and dont worry about upgrades yet.
  • alihisgreat
    got some goodies in the post today from Wiggle -> loving the free Haribo; is it a year round thing? don't recall getting any with my last order..

x2_a430a34

-105 pedals in black (hard to release from compared to normal SPDs..)
    -Tacx Shiva Rabobank bottles (because when i'm fit enough to wear pro kit, i would probably wear Rabobank -> blue and orange = awesome... and they were 1/2 price)
    -spare conti inner tube and levers in a tiny saddle bag -> (should be good for longer rides when the jersey is stuffed with food, and the bag can fit in jersey pocket otherwise)
    -Tacx quick release skewer for turbo trainer.
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Looks smart. Expecting the mrs to burst through the doors though asking how her new hairdo is, sending bike flying :(

Thanks,
    i'm always warned the day before when the women in my life are getting a hairdo... so i just text them "your hair looks nice" before they get home :mrgreen: works every time!!
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Very nice, rabobank kit should go well with that too
  • alihisgreat
    6846548910_3b804b3ae3.jpg

Cleaned it last weekend and she's looking great.

A few months of use and I've got no complaints, its an awesome bike that I would recommend to anyone -> the cheaper models would be a bit of a bargain too as they use the same fantastic frame (only without smoothed welds and a different BB)
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    ive had my giant defy for 12 months love riding it,great looking bike.
    going downhill slowly
  • Giant Defy 1 - ordered from EBC - arriving on Friday. Cant wait to use all the stuff I've got from ebay and ride that badboy!
  • NapoleonD wrote:

:lol::lol:
  • alihisgreat
    Since you've bumped the thread here are some more piccys:

7304138200_e62633339b.jpg
    6902867310_34768e1a65.jpg
    6878043140_f46f2aaef0_z.jpg

(and yes i know the saddle is wonky in the 1st pic -> I only noticed after taking the photo and promptly corrected it!)
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Some excellent white on white there...
    :D
  • alihisgreat
    More of the good stuff:

8017091517_709671f633_c.jpg
    8019187493_2539bab931_z.jpg

and this one from last week

8183294312_67e16b0b35_c.jpg

went out for a 45 mile zone 2 ride and as soon as I got out of town the roads were soaked and covered in mud.. couldn't take it back to my room at Uni in that state.. so the guy at the carwash gave me a funny look when I asked him to clean my bike :mrgreen: wasn't a bad deal for £3.

Nothings changed apart from the bottle cages but I am starting to think about upgrades for next season:

-Specialized Romin Evo (waiting for the test saddles to arrive at the LBS)
    -Mavic Kyriums or Shimano RS-80s
  • iplod
    iplod Posts: 83
    Nice looking bike. One observation if it hasn't already been mentioned, it would be wise to move the computer pick up from the back of the fork and put it on the front. If it gets knocked or moves inwards where it is now then it will cause havoc with the spokes, and probably get smashed .
    SOLITUDE. It's not for everyone.

Trek 5.2 madone 2007
    Ribble audax/winter 2010
    Bianchi infinto 2012
  • alihisgreat
    hmm thanks for that, hadn't thought about it before -> got the computer thrown In free when I bought it and the shop fitted it before I picked it up.
  • hi heres mine with elites on it..
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I have a defy 4 2012 for my first road bike had it about 3 months now and love it I'm considering selling the Xc bike as it just sit in the garage now :-( (spesh camber 2011) I went for the cheap option on the defy invade I didn't like road riding but I love it so when the weather pics up il look in to getting a better road bike

i might be wrong here but is the sensor ment to be that high up on the fork?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • alihisgreat
    I didn't install it - the shop threw it in free when I bought it so I don't really know?

Doesn't matter now anyway as I've got a Garmin Edge 500 and the speed/cadence sensor is on the chainstay.

Also fitted new bar tape a few weeks ago - definitly a labour of love. And I really like the Lizard Skins DSP stuff.. has a more premium look to it than normal tape:

8381323511_52c4d2ef1f_c.jpg

been trying a new lower position too.. but I'll probably put the bars another 5mm higher as the drops aren't comfortable at the moment.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I just picked up a garmin edge 800 395 for the lot about rite price at the mo bit didn't see the point in paying out for the 810 just cos its got Bluetooth .
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • looking good , maybee try compact bars and once you change those wheels youll notice some diference in speed its like riding a new bike.. :P next upgrade the frame hmm :lol:
  • Great looking bikes!

I have a Defy 1 as well although it's the older model so the colour scheme isn't half as good to be honest. I'm a big fan of my Defy - I'm assuming the current ones are even better :)
  • Yup i love my 2012 defy 1 aswell. So far mine is stock but looking to upgrade the bars to some 3T ergonovas 46cm as i think the wider bars would be comfier for me (I am a front row rugby player). I can definatly reccomend the giant defy mudguards for those who ride in the wet the fit is perfect and they are very light!