Race frame sizing?

Theomerchant
Theomerchant Posts: 187
edited January 2012 in Amateur race
I have a little query around road race frame sizing.
My normal road bike size is a 58cm which fits me fine for all day riding, I have ordered a Dolan Ares (not paid just in my LBS) in a 56cm as it is a compact frame so works out to feel roughly the same as a 58cm bike.
What I was a little worried about was that are bikes that are used solely for road racing a lot smaller than all day bikes and the reason I ask is that I was looking at Andy Fenn's Dolan Ares; http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/p ... res-31879/ and his is a 54cm yet he is 6'1" an inch shorter than me! I am very confused about what would be the right size for me in regards to a race specific bike and also quite worried that I have ordered a bike that is too large for me to race on?!
any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Theo

Comments

• kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    I don't think you should worry about what pros are using just care about what's comfortable for you and only you :)
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Not sure how Dolan measure their bikes but AF's bike is less than 1" smaller than the one you have ordered and he is 1" shorter then you are going to be able to get a similar fit on the bike. I would suggest, looking at the amount of seat post sticking out he has gone for a small frame to get the very low front end which you may not be able to handle.
    You should not try to copy a pro race fit. Race a bike that is comfortable and you will perform much better. You may find that your position develops in time as you get fitter and more flexible.
  • Measure the top tube length of your current bike and of the new one.